Win10 can't connect to Win8.1 but Win8.1 can connect to Win10

Anonymous
2020-11-12T16:34:38+00:00

Frustrating problem on local home network. 

I regularly access multiple computers on the lan remotely, but often my win10 box cannot connect to other non win10 computers even though they can connect to the win10 computer.

I resolved this once, can't remember what I did and now it's back and creating major time wasting.

Win10 wastes even more time by taking almost 5 minutes to timeout before anything else can be done in windows explorer.

Thanks in advance,

Beverly Howard

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-01T22:22:50+00:00

    You are so pessimistic, I misread your post. But I am glad it is working now. And you've got something to try, if/when it goes again. Keep us informed, & good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-18T01:49:54+00:00

    So, you entered that other thread on p.18, &, by p.21, it was determined yours is a different problem than the FDResPub fix can solve. IOW, you restarted FDResPub but it wasn't a cure. Also, it happens to you whether the Ethernet or WiFi (two different computers) is used, but the FdResPub cure only applies to the former. Finally, it seems you are saying the Win 10 machines are not spotting the Win 8.1 machines (well they see but can't use them), but it would be the other way around if FDResPub were the problem. The Win 10 machine (using the Ethernet) would be the one that no other computer could spot, & it wouldn't even be able to see itself at the File Explorer Network folder. That's what restarting FdResPub (on the Win 10 machine) would cure.

    So I did this BING of "win 8.1 cannot network with win 10"...

    https://www.bing.com/search?q=win+8.1+cannot+network+with+win+10&form=WNSGPH&qs=SW&cvid=73b306b2bd7a461ca420f0701aff957d&pq=win+8.1+cannot+network+with+win+10&cc=US&setlang=en-US&nclid=DC7D30674C848AADC8AC41DC57B916B8&ts=1610931599920&wsso=Moderate

    It will be very discouraging for you to read the first thread listed which was...

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9d0d20da-b0e9-4c92-aaca-9abcca401679/win-81-cannot-see-win-10-computer-on-workgroup-network-but-the-opposite-works

    win 8.1 cannot see win 10 computer on workgroup network but the opposite works

    I suggest you skip it & try the next. I'm too discouraged to try more tonight, myself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-18T18:52:48+00:00

    >> I'm too discouraged to try more tonight, myself. <<

    I apologize if my posts came across as adversarial.  That was not my intent.

    I sincerely hope you are having a better day.

    Beverly Howard

    (Former MS MVP)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-18T19:18:37+00:00

    I didn't mean that. I meant the thread was discouraging because much was tried but no cure was found. It looked like they never would give up but ran out of ideas at last. Sorry for being unclear. And I was kind of joking when I used the word "pessimistic" too. Sorry for that.

    I'll look through other threads tonight.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-18T19:52:47+00:00

    Thanks for the clarification... appreciated.

    At the risk of creating more confusion, I'll repost the following.

    In my case, the Win10 computers are visible to the Win8.1 computer and both the Win10 computers can be accessed from the Win8.1 computer.

    At the same time, the Win8.1 computer is NOT visible to the Win10 computers and cannot be accessed from either Win10 computer.

    For security reasons, the Win8.1 computer is normally logged in as a Non Administrative User.  A few days ago, I used an Administrator login on the Win8.1 box and the Win8.1 computer became visible to the two Win10 computers.

    Both the Non Admin and Admin logins have identical file sharing settings.

    In the hope that this might be helpful in unearthing an answer.  I have even considered upgrading the Win8.1 computers to Win10, but, I would really prefer not to.

    Thanks again for all of the responses,

    Beverly Howard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments