Win10 can't connect to Win8.1 but Win8.1 can connect to Win10

Anonymous
2020-11-12T16:34:38+00:00

Frustrating problem on local home network. 

I regularly access multiple computers on the lan remotely, but often my win10 box cannot connect to other non win10 computers even though they can connect to the win10 computer.

I resolved this once, can't remember what I did and now it's back and creating major time wasting.

Win10 wastes even more time by taking almost 5 minutes to timeout before anything else can be done in windows explorer.

Thanks in advance,

Beverly Howard

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-12T18:59:17+00:00

    Hi, I'm Robinson, an Independent Advisor and a Windows user like you.

    1-Press win+R type control and press Ok

    2-Click on Unistall a program

    3-Click on Turn Windows Features on or off

    4-Check the option "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support"

    5-Click on Ok and will ask to reboot.

    After reboot check the connection with others PC

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-13T19:20:02+00:00

    Thanks, but this didn't resolve the problem either.

    There appears to be a problem specific to Win10 that causes this failure... I'm currently checking out the suggestions at;

    http://woshub.com/network-computers-not-showing-windows-10/

    A key symptom is that when the network icon in windows explorer is clicked, it only shows devices and nothing related to the lan or other computers... _including_ the computer that I am using file explorer on.

    I have network sharing turned on and didn't change anything before this problem arose.  If I find a solution, I will post it.

    Beverly Howard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-14T21:15:38+00:00

    Success and a tip of the hat to  RobinsonSilvestre for his SMB tip.  The reason that it didn't work is that it has to be turned on on both computers and none of the machines on my lan, which are very happy to communicate with each other if they are not running Win10 had it turned on.

    That means that using SMB is a workaround.  This solves my immediate need, but I look forward to more Win10 file sharing problems down the line... for example, having to get up and physically go to other win8 or lower boxes to turn SMB on to meet the one Win10 computer's demands.

    There has to be a reason why default file sharing, which used to work on this computer decided to stop working.

    Thanks again.

    Beverly Howard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-29T22:59:12+00:00

    Well, that worked for a while, but the fix didn't last. 

    The same problem is there again... I can connect from the Win8.1 to the Win10 computer, but the Win10 computer can't connect to the Win8.1 computer.

    • I checked the SMB settings on both computers and they are checked.
    • The 8.1 computer now shows up in the file explorer network icon, but shows as not available when clicked on
    • There is a second Win8.1 computer which is always accessible when it is powered on.
    • No setting changes since the previous post other than rebooting both computers several times.

    This is a major problem and it would seem that there is a reason for this somewhere.

    So once again,HELP!

    Thanks in advance,

    Beverly Howard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-11-30T01:43:14+00:00

    See what fg2001 wrote of FDResPub on page 18 in here...

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-1809-network-does-not-show/d5241167-97e6-4b6d-a7e6-96238f876d27?page=18

    Windows 10, Version 1809. Network does not show computers

    And skip back to page 17 to see what CSAMD wrote. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments