Win10 can't connect to Win8.1 but Win8.1 can connect to Win10

Anonymous
2020-11-12T16:34:38+00:00

Frustrating problem on local home network. 

I regularly access multiple computers on the lan remotely, but often my win10 box cannot connect to other non win10 computers even though they can connect to the win10 computer.

I resolved this once, can't remember what I did and now it's back and creating major time wasting.

Win10 wastes even more time by taking almost 5 minutes to timeout before anything else can be done in windows explorer.

Thanks in advance,

Beverly Howard

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-11T19:52:41+00:00

    This problem is back and, unfortunately, the steps that I posted on 1/31/21 are now not resolving the issue.  As posted previously, none of the other suggestions and steps in this thread have worked.

    Yesterday, I was able to connect the Win10 to the win8.1 computer and view, transfer files, open, save to, etc, etc, but no way at the moment.

    As mentioned, I can connect from the Win8.1 computer to the Win10 and have a fully functional network connection FROM the Win8.1 computer.

    Any more thoughts?

    Thanks in advance,

    Beverly Howard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-02T02:01:36+00:00

    Your problem is the same as mine, any update which is pushed onto your machines turn SMB back OFF as it seems Microsoft will not let us have home networking

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-01T06:30:15+00:00

    That does sound helpful for the next person trying to have a Win 10 see a Win 8.1. Good going. I doubt they'll get any help from Microsoft because Win 8.1 is out of service. Good of you to fill in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-31T22:40:13+00:00

    Some more info on why my win10 can't see w8.1 computers.

    I have not had the need recently to access a win8.1 computer from this win10 computer, and, sure enough, could not do so when I needed to today.

    Went to the win8.1 computer and it had no problem accessing the win10 computer and, after doing so, went back to the win10 computer and confirmed that it could still not access the win8.1 computer

    Stopped the FDResPub service (it was running) and re started it.  Didn't help.

    Then;

    • went to the win8.1 computer
    • restarted it
    • logged in as administrator
    • then immediately logged out
    • then logged in as the non-admin user which is the norm for this computer
    • went to the win10 computer
    • was able to access the win8.1 computer

    It did take a while for win10 file explorer to display the win8.1 icon, and it balked when I first tried to open the share, but eventually it connected and allowed me to access and transfer win8.1 files.

    In other words, a win8.1 administrative login is required before any win10 computer can access that box.

    Hope this info is helpful,

    Beverly Howard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-19T19:25:07+00:00

    You are welcome. Happy birthday. You haven't got me beat by a lot. Can't blame you for being happy with the workaround from what I've seen BINGing the issue. It's definitely a tough one. Good luck, & keep us informed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments