I wish stairs weren't involved, but exercise, after all, is good. But I'm sorry I couldn't help more.
Win10 can't connect to Win8.1 but Win8.1 can connect to Win10
Frustrating problem on local home network.
I regularly access multiple computers on the lan remotely, but often my win10 box cannot connect to other non win10 computers even though they can connect to the win10 computer.
I resolved this once, can't remember what I did and now it's back and creating major time wasting.
Win10 wastes even more time by taking almost 5 minutes to timeout before anything else can be done in windows explorer.
Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2021-04-16T15:02:27+00:00 -
Anonymous
2021-04-16T08:50:22+00:00 >> Win 10 can see the Win 8.1 computer in the Network folder, & its shared files are accessible. <<
The Win10 can't even "see" the Win8.1 computer when it can't transfer files
>> Nothing needs to have been done on the Win 10 side. <<
When I'm sitting at the Win10 computer and need to sync files to assure that I am not going to create a conflict and doing so requires descending two flights of stairs to get to the Win8.1 computer and then climbing back up those stairs to work on the Win10 computer ...its a problem.
>> It's not that tough a workaround. <<
From my viewpoint, when you are pushing 80, having to take a round trip down and then back up up two flights of stairs every time this happens qualifies as "tough" ;-)
Beverly
-
Anonymous
2021-04-16T01:48:50+00:00 You are welcome. OK. I think you'll be fine with the workaround you discovered. Good going. Sorry I was no help toward an actual solution. But I think you are right, the onus is on Microsoft -- it's on their heads! Good luck, & keep us informed.
Just to summarize, the problem is that Win 10 will lose its connection to Win 8.1 (but not the other way around). That is, Win 10 no longer sees the Win 8.1 computer in its File Explorer, Network folder, (but Win 8.1 still sees Win 10).
Then...?...
(a) Sign in to the Admin account on the Win 8.1 (then back to the Standard account, if you wish).
(b) Maybe sync the files from the Win 8.1 computer to the Win 10 computer?
After that, Win 10 can see the Win 8.1 computer in the Network folder, & its shared files are accessible. Nothing needs to have been done on the Win 10 side. It's not that tough a workaround.
Actually, it almost sounds like it is a design feature to protect computers that are logged into a Standard (non-Admin) account. It may be meant to protect file access against intruder prying eyes.
-
Anonymous
2021-04-16T00:36:48+00:00 >> I don't want to be constantly bothered with UACs & lesser user abilities <<
In almost all cases, when logged in as a non-admin user, when an action requiring admin access, windows states that, and you can then select the admin account and enter the admin password... I've gotten used to it.
Again, the strange thing is that this problem exists when I am logged in as a non admin user on the Win8.1 computer... and I have no problems accessing the shares on the Win10 computer FROM the Win8.1 computer.
>>
(a)
(b)
(c)
<<
I'm done... I seem to have a semi workable solution... you would think that someone from ms would at least consider addressing issues such as this one... perhaps it's time to start learning more about linux ;-(
Thanks for the response.
-
Anonymous
2021-04-14T03:57:39+00:00 It sounds like Free File Sync is a backup app akin to Windows's own File History, but it makes single copies instead of keeping a record of every change. You only get to restore the last version of each file which is less complicated. Seems to have good reviews, sorry to hear you must pay. I doubt it has a bearing on the issue at hand, unless it is set to sync Win 8.1 files to Win 10 files across the network. But that's what sharing across a network is supposed to do all on its own, I think. Or am I wrong? You know better, really. But, even if it requires syncing, Free File Sync likely isn't the cause of the problem. It is just the canary in the mine that dies first when the network is broke.
I only have an Admin account. I believe a Standard account is safer, but I don't want to be constantly bothered with UACs & lesser user abilities, So, I trust in Windows Security for protection. Also, I keep full system backups in case something does get in & cause real havoc. But neither do I have a Win 8.1 computer, nor even a network. So, I can't say whether the problem would happen to me. I've run this way since 2014 & never got a virus (but I never go anywhere suspect).
(a) Why don't you make your account(s) an Admin for a month -- just to test your theory?
(b) Why not file share through OneDrive one way or another instead of the network?
(c) Have you tried a P2P Network as Kate LI (MSFT) wrote in here...?...
Windows 10 peer to peer network setup
Sounds easy enough. Well, get to the Workgroup name this way: "Right-click START, System, System Protection, Computer Name tab"...
I don't know how well it would go or whether it's worth trying seeing as you've got a work around to the problem.