Screen stuck on "Updates are underway. Please keep your computer on."

Reported
Anonymous
2023-03-23T00:54:46+00:00

I really need to fix this problem. I tried using the troubleshooter before restarting but that was stuck too. It said I had to reboot first. How can I fix this issue without destroying or corrupting any important Windows components?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-23T01:36:00+00:00

Good day! I'm Raniel. I understand your frustration regarding this issue and I'll do my best to help.

If it is still stuck on that screen, perform a hard shutdown (press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds until it turns off), disconnect your peripherals, unplug/replug your power cable and turn it back on and see if the updates will install or rollback.

Kindly perform a reset of your windows update components using this reset script (ensure that you are running the command prompt as an administrator). Please refer to this article: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-windows-upd...

Once done, reboot the machine and reinstall the updates.

I also suggest that you refer to the steps on these articles to further troubleshoot the issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/windows/troublesh...

https://support.microsoft.com/windows/get-help-...

I hope this helps. Good luck!

________________________________________________________

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-25T16:31:43+00:00

    It won't let me shut down

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-05T14:29:25+00:00

    I really need to fix this problem. I tried using the troubleshooter before restarting but that was stuck too. It said I had to reboot first. How can I fix this issue without destroying or corrupting any important Windows components?

    Please On my Laptop

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-13T11:36:25+00:00

    I returned my new PC to the store because I didnt tolerate "updates are underway" stuck screen. Its unacceptable, unethical & lame!!! I restarted the PC, because I wont wait indefinitely and desktop would never start again. Windows developers lamely programmed updates features. I didnt have such problem with windows 10 ever. Other OS's are way more reliable nowadays.

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-13T11:43:15+00:00

    Its unethical and lame. Screen should not be stuck randomly like that without any indication of how long it'll take, etc... its developed by lamers that have no time management skills hence dont care of end user's valuable time! I guarantee that.

    0 comments No comments