Screen stuck on "Updates are underway. Please keep your computer on."

Reported
Anonymous
2023-03-23T00:54:46+00:00

I really need to fix this problem. I tried using the troubleshooter before restarting but that was stuck too. It said I had to reboot first. How can I fix this issue without destroying or corrupting any important Windows components?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-23T01:36:00+00:00

Good day! I'm Raniel. I understand your frustration regarding this issue and I'll do my best to help.

If it is still stuck on that screen, perform a hard shutdown (press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds until it turns off), disconnect your peripherals, unplug/replug your power cable and turn it back on and see if the updates will install or rollback.

Kindly perform a reset of your windows update components using this reset script (ensure that you are running the command prompt as an administrator). Please refer to this article: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-windows-upd...

Once done, reboot the machine and reinstall the updates.

I also suggest that you refer to the steps on these articles to further troubleshoot the issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/windows/troublesh...

https://support.microsoft.com/windows/get-help-...

I hope this helps. Good luck!

________________________________________________________

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-11T18:29:59+00:00

    Yes, that's true but it happens every time when there's an update (at least in my case), so it's not a solution.

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-03T10:08:09+00:00

    As long as the circle load er is turning please don't loose hope it will take 1-2 hours atmost 3 hrs

    Mine took 1plus hours

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-18T05:21:41+00:00

    Restart the computer. Tap F12 repeatedly to enter the Windows One Time boot menu upon restart. Select to roll back the update.

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-11T20:17:35+00:00

    Fresh install of windows 11 23h1 on 2 year old pc running ryzen 7 4000 and 16 gigs of ram experienece.

    No I do not want o365, no I do not want backups, onedrive and no I do not want microsoft telemetry. Making sure you have latest updates twice, nevermind.

    After install Updates, downloading for 2 hours on 50mbps internet, stuck, have to reboot, fan noise always there. Some updates failed, number of reboots. Cumulative update. Updates unerway stuck after 20 min, forced hard reboot. Another 5 minutes of underway. All uninstalled store apps reinstalling back, take syet another hour. Uninstall again. Fan still blowing. 38 percent of 16 gb ram eaten.

    Seriously, Microsoft, have some respect for your users.

    0 comments No comments