Windows key not working (but is detected by Windows 11)

Anonymous
2023-03-29T07:36:46+00:00

Hello, the Windows key on my keyboard in Windows 11 suddenly stopped working for 99% of inputs. Problem seemed to start when I walked away from PC for a bit. Weirdly, the key still works when I hit 'Win+L', but nothing else. The issue isn't at the keyboard level, as I've tried hitting the Win key on both the laptop and external keyboard.

Here are some things I've tried/ruled out:

  • Problem persists across Restarts
  • Sticky keys and Filter Keys are switched off
  • Tried uninstalling and reinstalling all keyboards in Device Manager
  • sfc /scannow doesn't fix the problem.
  • Tried restarting Explorer.exe process
  • I don't have Win Lock on my keyboard, but maybe there's some other secret keyboard shortcut that I accidentally hit that caused this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Input and language

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T12:35:51+00:00

Also, FN + Windows could resolve your issue. Like I had it couple of minutes ago, during the gaming I accidentally hit Windows + FN and after quitting the game I've noticed that it stopped to work. So I hit again FN + Windows and it worked.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-30T07:19:04+00:00

Thanks John. I've now solved the issue. After 2 days, the ASUS Armory Crate app finally gave me a pop-up telling me that my Windows key was disabled. I sometimes use the app to turn on 'Eco Mode' when I'm using the laptop on battery, so must have mis-clicked and pressed the button to disable the Windows key.

Cheers,

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-27T15:44:18+00:00

    Also, FN + Windows could resolve your issue. Like I had it couple of minutes ago, during the gaming I accidentally hit Windows + FN and after quitting the game I've noticed that it stopped to work. So I hit again FN + Windows and it worked.

    You are a genius! I also had Armory Crate and was about to go into it when I saw your post. How the heck did it get "locked" in the first place I dont know but I do see that little 🔒 on that key which makes sense you need to press Fn to activate/deactivate. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-11T22:26:47+00:00

    Thank you for this! I have tried numerous solutions from altering Run programs, reinstalling new drivers, etc. and nothing worked. I just tried FN + Windows key and the Start up menu popped right up.

    I really need windows key to work for remote work into my iMac. The windows key acts as Apple's command key and without that function, tasks were very tetious!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments