Windows key not working (but is detected by Windows 11)

Anonymous
2023-03-29T07:36:46+00:00

Hello, the Windows key on my keyboard in Windows 11 suddenly stopped working for 99% of inputs. Problem seemed to start when I walked away from PC for a bit. Weirdly, the key still works when I hit 'Win+L', but nothing else. The issue isn't at the keyboard level, as I've tried hitting the Win key on both the laptop and external keyboard.

Here are some things I've tried/ruled out:

  • Problem persists across Restarts
  • Sticky keys and Filter Keys are switched off
  • Tried uninstalling and reinstalling all keyboards in Device Manager
  • sfc /scannow doesn't fix the problem.
  • Tried restarting Explorer.exe process
  • I don't have Win Lock on my keyboard, but maybe there's some other secret keyboard shortcut that I accidentally hit that caused this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Input and language

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T12:35:51+00:00

Also, FN + Windows could resolve your issue. Like I had it couple of minutes ago, during the gaming I accidentally hit Windows + FN and after quitting the game I've noticed that it stopped to work. So I hit again FN + Windows and it worked.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-30T07:19:04+00:00

Thanks John. I've now solved the issue. After 2 days, the ASUS Armory Crate app finally gave me a pop-up telling me that my Windows key was disabled. I sometimes use the app to turn on 'Eco Mode' when I'm using the laptop on battery, so must have mis-clicked and pressed the button to disable the Windows key.

Cheers,

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-18T13:16:36+00:00

    Thanks for sharing this, I had the same issue and couldn't for the life of me understand why the windows key wasn't working, after having tried all the fixes I could find online. Turns out the key was disabled in the ASUS Armory Crate, and easily turned back on from there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-18T02:27:38+00:00

    I have an old Logitech G510 keyboard. It has a physical switch for "Gaming Mode" (it looks like a joystick). When it is moved right, the Game mode is on and it disables the Windows Logo key functions! The solution is to slide the switch left, to turn off the Game mode. Then the Windows Logo key works fine.

    Kent, you beautiful human! I have a G110 and it also has the little switch (that I _never_ use). My windows key wasn't doing anything Windows didn't say it was in Game Mode or anything, but when I switched it right and switched it back my Windows key came back to life! This was the solution for me and I can't express the depths of my gratitude! Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-12T00:00:50+00:00

    Thank you!!! i must have accidentally done this with my steel series keyboard as my win key has been locked for days lol. i hit the steel series key and win key and it unlocked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments