Windows key not working (but is detected by Windows 11)

Anonymous
2023-03-29T07:36:46+00:00

Hello, the Windows key on my keyboard in Windows 11 suddenly stopped working for 99% of inputs. Problem seemed to start when I walked away from PC for a bit. Weirdly, the key still works when I hit 'Win+L', but nothing else. The issue isn't at the keyboard level, as I've tried hitting the Win key on both the laptop and external keyboard.

Here are some things I've tried/ruled out:

  • Problem persists across Restarts
  • Sticky keys and Filter Keys are switched off
  • Tried uninstalling and reinstalling all keyboards in Device Manager
  • sfc /scannow doesn't fix the problem.
  • Tried restarting Explorer.exe process
  • I don't have Win Lock on my keyboard, but maybe there's some other secret keyboard shortcut that I accidentally hit that caused this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Input and language

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T12:35:51+00:00

Also, FN + Windows could resolve your issue. Like I had it couple of minutes ago, during the gaming I accidentally hit Windows + FN and after quitting the game I've noticed that it stopped to work. So I hit again FN + Windows and it worked.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-30T07:19:04+00:00

Thanks John. I've now solved the issue. After 2 days, the ASUS Armory Crate app finally gave me a pop-up telling me that my Windows key was disabled. I sometimes use the app to turn on 'Eco Mode' when I'm using the laptop on battery, so must have mis-clicked and pressed the button to disable the Windows key.

Cheers,

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T16:18:11+00:00

    ==For HP Omen Gaming Laptops==

    There's an app OMEN Gaming Hub -> Got to Optimizer -> Booster -> Disable Windows Key. Uncheck the option and it should start working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-27T02:22:47+00:00

    Nothings working tried all the shown and shared troubleshoot methods in this thread still cant figure it out

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-16T15:59:47+00:00

    You literally solved all of my problems lmao, thank you so much

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments