i see the 3 dots... and select uninstall a message pops up asking -do I want to let Mcafee make changes to my computer.
should i answer yes? if i say no it takes me out of the uninstall .
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Look no further if you are like me and have been stuck with leftover McAfee processes after running the uninstallers.
There are plenty of guides with canned answers from Microsoft that have done nothing but frustrate you; this is what you need to do.
This is a known solution for Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (Build 22621.1194). This should work on most supported Windows versions since Windows 7 with minor tweaks.
Disclaimer: My professional experience as a SysAdmin dates back to 2010, and my hobbyist experience dates back to 1998. I can only say that the solution below worked for me, and I will not be held liable if you mess up your computer. If you don't have a supplemental subscription Antivirus, I would not recommend removing the extra security.
Things You'll Need
Step 1 - Remove McAfee products from your computer using Windows
Step 2 - Reboot and Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Protection
It would be best if you didn't run any browsers while you have early launch anti-malware protection disabled. Navigating the wrong site could easily hijack your real antivirus and create more significant problems.
Step 3 - Run the MCPR Tool
Step 4 - Remove Dangling Services/Files (If Needed/Optional)
I can offer assistance if this doesn't work but don't expect a quick or accurate response for your situation. You may have a faster and more accurate response from McAfee Support. 🍻
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
i see the 3 dots... and select uninstall a message pops up asking -do I want to let Mcafee make changes to my computer.
should i answer yes? if i say no it takes me out of the uninstall .
i see the 3 dots... and select uninstall a message pops up asking -do I want to let Mcafee make changes to my computer.
should i answer yes? if i say no it takes me out of the uninstall .
Yes, you will want the vendor, McAfee, to make changes to your computer, this is so it can uninstall the application.
The problem with McAfee software is that the files are open on start-up.
Uninstall will not work.
Simple solution for Windows 10 is to invoke msconfig through the Task Bar Search. Press Enter.
Select Diagnostic Configuration and restart your computer.
McAfee files are not loaded enabling uninstall.
Go back and select Normal Configuration and restart.
Worked for me.
Peter Waller
PS Retired IT professional now 82. Started IT on a paper tape input NCR Cram with 16K max programs.
My washing machine has more grunt !
Awesome! You should write up a post for it so it doesn't get lost in the comments on this guide.
But please make a note that if a user has set up a pin, they will not be able to log into their computer because the diagnostic configuration does not load the biometric or Windows Hello drivers needed to login.
Also make sure you help them out when they are stuck at a login screen with no way to get back to the desktop except using the Advanced Startup Options.
Just noting this out of practical experience during my initial troubleshooting of this issue because while it's definitely a shortcut, it will cause more headache than it is worth.
MCAFEE,
I HAVE TO SAY THIS I HAVE HAD NUMOROUS PROBLEMS TRY TO REMOVE YOUR SOFTWARE, I THING THAT UPSETS ME IS BEING FORCED TO BUY SOFTWARE THAT I DONT WANT,MOST PEOPLE WILL JUST GIVE UP AND PAY I WILL NOT , i WILL DESTORY THE COMPUTER IF I HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE, I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON COMPUTERS FOR NEARLY 30 YEARS AND MOSTLY I CAN FIX THEM, THIS ONE HAS YOUR ANNOYING ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE AND I CAN NOT SEEM TO GET RID OF IT, I FINALLY FOUND WERE THE FILES ARE AND HAVE TRIED TO DELETE THEM AMD ITS NOT WORKING, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULDHELP ME REMOVE IT FROM MY COMPUTER. WHY DOES SOFTWARE MAKERS TRY TO MAKE YOU BUT THERE SOFTWARE ? COMPAINES THAT DO THAT **** ONLY LOOSES MY RESPECT.
WHAYS IN MY COMPUTER IS NOT A RUGULAR PROGRAM , I THINKS ITS SOMEKIND OF BUNDLED SOFTWARE, i WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP !
MY EMAIL IS ******@GMAIL.COM\
MARK