Thanks so much.
So to paraphrase the original password is my current set Microsoft password, that isn't my pin?
Hope you have a lovely day.
Thanks for your advice
Nikki
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Look no further if you are like me and have been stuck with leftover McAfee processes after running the uninstallers.
There are plenty of guides with canned answers from Microsoft that have done nothing but frustrate you; this is what you need to do.
This is a known solution for Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (Build 22621.1194). This should work on most supported Windows versions since Windows 7 with minor tweaks.
Disclaimer: My professional experience as a SysAdmin dates back to 2010, and my hobbyist experience dates back to 1998. I can only say that the solution below worked for me, and I will not be held liable if you mess up your computer. If you don't have a supplemental subscription Antivirus, I would not recommend removing the extra security.
Things You'll Need
Step 1 - Remove McAfee products from your computer using Windows
Step 2 - Reboot and Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Protection
It would be best if you didn't run any browsers while you have early launch anti-malware protection disabled. Navigating the wrong site could easily hijack your real antivirus and create more significant problems.
Step 3 - Run the MCPR Tool
Step 4 - Remove Dangling Services/Files (If Needed/Optional)
I can offer assistance if this doesn't work but don't expect a quick or accurate response for your situation. You may have a faster and more accurate response from McAfee Support. 🍻
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks so much.
So to paraphrase the original password is my current set Microsoft password, that isn't my pin?
Hope you have a lovely day.
Thanks for your advice
Nikki
Hi there
With regards to 'original password'.
Some time ago Microsoft introduced an alternative four digit PIN number rather than a password.
If you invoke the diagnostic start up if you are using that PIN than that will be lost so on rebooting with a normal startup you will need
to enter your original password. If you are not using a PIN than you don't have a problem.
Hope that makes sense.
If you have problems than you can call me and I will take you through it. My number is +61 --- --- --- (Australia !)
Regards Peter Waller
Thanks very much for an easy-to-follow fix. May I ask for clarification on what 'original password' is, and where I can find this before I follow your steps?
Thank you again!
.
I had a similar problem with Mcafee.
Solution I adopted (for Windows 10) was to enter in the 'type here to search' field leftmost on task bar the command
MSCONFIG.
This will come up with Normal Start Up or Diagnostic Start Up.
Select Diagnostic and enter. This will restart your PC with minimum resources but will enable you to uninstall Mcafee.
You will than need to go back and enter Normal Start-up.
Beware your four digit Microsoft password will be deleted and you will have to go back to your original password.
Worked for me.
Peter Waller
I KIND OF FIGURED THAT, ALOT OF THINGS HAVE CHANGED SINCE I WENT TO SCHOOL,I WENT TO SCHOOL WHEN THE 486 WAS THE TOP SYSTEM AT THE TIME