Windows 11 - how do I set default view for details (other thread solutions don't work or Windows 11)

Anonymous
2023-03-19T14:30:57+00:00

Every time I select the details view in a folder, I have to re-select what details I want (file type, length, etc) to the same thing. I have read many threads, but they seem to not be for Windows 11. There is no "Organize" option that I can see.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer recommended by moderator
Anonymous
2024-10-24T15:56:31+00:00

This:

https://lesferch.github.io/WinSetView/

Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T13:11:06+00:00

    Dave,

    Thank for replying to the issue of setting the view on all folders to a desired setting. You provide the "standard" response to this question. Unfortunately, it does not work. Any other ideas?

    Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-22T15:37:31+00:00

    Without further details, I can only guess at how the "Apply to Folders" procedure is not working for you. It could be that your new default view works in Explorer, but not in file open/save dialog views, or it could be that it doesn't work for special views such as libraries or search results, or it could be that the new default is not even applying to folders of the same type as viewed in Explorer.

    Without going into all the details, you should be able to resolve most of those issues by first clearing out all saved views in the registry before doing the "Apply to Folders" procedure. You can do that by following the procedure here:

    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-folder-view-settings-to-default-in-windows-11-file-explorer.1279/

    Or you can use my free WinSetView tool. It will deal with all of those issues. In the end, it only clears and sets registry values (i.e. nothing is "installed") so there's no downside to using the tool.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T17:39:13+00:00

    Thank you for your prompt reply. Very courteous of you to do so. I tried installing WinSetView. Wow! What a mess! I had to install an app that was freezing my laptop unless I installed the latest version of McAfee, which I do not want to do because my laptop already is protected.... Also, when I opened the dialogue box to install WinSetView, I received a warning that I should not do so! I simply uninstalled the app.As you say, it is impossible for you to know what is going on with a laptop that you cannot view yourself. I wonder if my issue might be related to the fact that all my files are synced to cloud storage?I will try the procedure you refer to below. Not certain that I can give you accurate feedback as to whether "it worked" because the folders for a while seem to be behaving as I wish (List View) and then seemingly for no reason all revert to Details View. Because the "apply to all folders" option does not work, I have to open every folder and reset. Ouch!Steve


    Without further details, I can only guess at how the "Apply to Folders" procedure is not working for you. It could be that your new default view works in Explorer, but not in file open/save dialog views, or it could be that it doesn't work for special views such as libraries or search results, or it could be that the new default is not even applying to folders of the same type as viewed in Explorer.

    Without going into all the details, you should be able to resolve most of those issues by first clearing out all saved views in the registry before doing the "Apply to Folders" procedure. You can do that by following the procedure here:

    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-folder-view-settings-to-default-in-windows-11-file-explorer.1279/

    Or you can use my free WinSetView tool. It will deal with all of those issues. In the end, it only clears and sets registry values (i.e. nothing is "installed") so there's no downside to using the tool.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-26T17:12:35+00:00

    I tried installing WinSetView. Wow! What a mess! I had to install an app that was freezing my laptop unless I installed the latest version of McAfee, which I do not want to do because my laptop already is protected.... Also, when I opened the dialogue box to install WinSetView, I received a warning that I should not do so! I simply uninstalled the app.

    Unless you're using a tool from Microsoft, or a large company that can pay big bucks for an EV certificate, you will see a warning with most tools that you download. That's normal and covered in the documentation. WinSetView is used by thousands of users, it's code-signed, safe, and tested and cleared with Windows Defender. Other AV software sometimes have additional protection options that can interfere with legitimate tools. In such cases, typically all you have to do is adjust a setting. For example, in BitDefender, you may have to turn off "Advanced threat detection" to use many utilities. McAfee probably has something similar. BTW, most computer experts will recommend not using McAfee.

    I will try the procedure you refer to below. Not certain that I can give you accurate feedback as to whether "it worked" because the folders for a while seem to be behaving as I wish (List View) and then seemingly for no reason all revert to Details View. Because the "apply to all folders" option does not work, I have to open every folder and reset. Ouch!

    After having reset all views using that batch file, "Apply to folders" should work, but keep in mind that it's based on folder TYPE and there is no "all" in that button. So, if you are in a folder of type "General items" and select "Apply to folders", it applies that view only to other folders of type "General items". The procedure must be repeated for folders of other types, such as ""Documents" or "Pictures". Windows sets the folder type automatically based on the majority contents of the folder. Therefore a folder's type can change if its content changes. Also note that "Apply to folders" does not update the view you see in an application via a file open/save dialog.

    WinSetView is designed to take the pain out of all those different views for different folder types and dialog views so you can set your preferred defaults once and for all, but if you can't, or won't, use it then you're stuck with the limitations of "Apply to folders". I'd recommend trying WinSetView again and, if it were me, I'd ditch McAfee.

    Note: I do not work for Microsoft. I'm just another user and a developer of 100% free tools. I try to help as best I can.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments