Windows 11 - how do I set default view for details (other thread solutions don't work or Windows 11)

Anonymous
2023-03-19T14:30:57+00:00

Every time I select the details view in a folder, I have to re-select what details I want (file type, length, etc) to the same thing. I have read many threads, but they seem to not be for Windows 11. There is no "Organize" option that I can see.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer recommended by moderator
Anonymous
2024-10-24T15:56:31+00:00

This:

https://lesferch.github.io/WinSetView/

Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T11:42:01+00:00

    Unfortunately I cannot use winsetview on my work computer. Really disappointing windows doesn’t just have this built in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-03-26T12:51:37+00:00

    Unfortunately I cannot use winsetview on my work computer. Really disappointing windows doesn’t just have this built in.

    Since WinSetView is a portable app and doesn't require administrator access, it probably will run just fine on your work computer, but it's likely to still be a violation of your company's rules to use it. If you were to download it at home onto a flash drive, run it at home to set your preferred options, and then use the flash drive on your work computer to just run it and click Submit, you'd be all set in a matter of seconds. I've worked at companies where that would be no problem and I've worked at companies where that could possibly get you fired, so your call on that.

    Otherwise, all Microsoft provides is the "Apply to Folders" button (see the link I posted previously for details) and you'll have to manually set the view as needed. For file open/save dialogs, the View settings are available by right-clicking in the white space of the window.

    P.S. Please note that "Date created" indicates when a file is first created on a given volume. That date will therefore become the current date when the file is copied. That makes it an unreliable indicator of the date the content was created. Some file types have other properties that you may want to consider. For example, photos (e.g. JPG images) have a "Date taken" property and Microsoft Office documents have a "Content created" property.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T13:03:49+00:00

    Cheers, thank you for all that information!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T01:11:41+00:00

    THIS is the only thing that has worked for me. The official method has been broken for YEARS!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments