Windows 11 - how do I set default view for details (other thread solutions don't work or Windows 11)

Anonymous
2023-03-19T14:30:57+00:00

Every time I select the details view in a folder, I have to re-select what details I want (file type, length, etc) to the same thing. I have read many threads, but they seem to not be for Windows 11. There is no "Organize" option that I can see.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer recommended by moderator
Anonymous
2024-10-24T15:56:31+00:00

This:

https://lesferch.github.io/WinSetView/

Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T16:26:40+00:00

    Hi Dave,

    Is there a way to set folder view to "Details" for ALL folders? I just want Details always, whatever the folder type Windows has decided it is.

    If there isn't (and I suspect there isn't, because Mickeysoft knows better what I want than I do), how do I know what folder type Windows has selected, and what folder type I'm applying my current view to? Is that shown somewhere?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T13:16:32+00:00

    Yes, supposed to work ... usually does, but my issue was that a column I removed from the folders' view settings appears even though it shouldn't. Maybe MS will figure this out and fix in a future release (it previously worked perfectly ... somebody at MS messed up).

    Open any folder. In the menu, select View, then Details. Adjust the columns you want (right click at top of any column to choose which columns you want). Then click on the hamburger menu (3 dots) and select Options. Selectthe View tab. Click on Apply to Folders at top and now all folders will (should) have exactly the same settings you just applied to the existing folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-25T15:36:49+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T09:55:11+00:00

    So your answer is no, there's no proper way to do it in Windows, but here's a third party hack that can do it.

    I'd prefer to hack the registry myself, so I guess I'll be hunting for the right keys to modify.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments