This:
Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Every time I select the details view in a folder, I have to re-select what details I want (file type, length, etc) to the same thing. I have read many threads, but they seem to not be for Windows 11. There is no "Organize" option that I can see.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
This:
Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!
Incredible! I am extremely less frustrated with my PC now. Thanks much
Incredible! I am extremely less frustrated with my PC now. Thanks much
👍🙂 You're welcome!
Hey everyone! Not sure if this thread is still buzzing, but here’s what’s going on:
Windows automatically assigns a “template” whenever you create a new folder. Unfortunately, subfolders don’t always inherit that template, so you end up with a patchwork of different views. That’s why the usual Options → Apply to Folders button doesn’t seem to stick—it only affects folders that already share the same template.
Here’s an easy fix:
All subfolders should now mirror your layout.
The only catch: this template applies to every folder of that type across your system, no matter where it lives.
Hope that tidies things up!
The option "Also apply this template to all subfolders" works great in Windows 10.
Unfortunately, it does not work with the Windows 11 Explorer (as of KB5008353, build 22000.469, in January 2022). Since that update, Explorer's automatic folder type discovery runs repeatedly, overriding your manual folder type selection (for NTFS local volumes). So, unless you happen to set the folder type to what Explorer wants to set it to anyhow, it's a fight you'll lose. Also, since that update, that feature does not work at all on non-NTFS volumes.
Please note that some Windows 11 users have switched to the Windows 10 Explorer (aka "Ribbon UI") via tools such as StartAllBack, ExplorerPatcher, or my free SwitchExplorer. In that case, "Also apply this template to all subfolders" will work.