This:
Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Every time I select the details view in a folder, I have to re-select what details I want (file type, length, etc) to the same thing. I have read many threads, but they seem to not be for Windows 11. There is no "Organize" option that I can see.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
This:
Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!
I did this with a generic folder. Opened a subfolder. WRONG VIEW. Change that. Did the steps again. Opened a subfolder. WRONG VIEW. Closed file explorer. Went back to the first folder and opened it. WRONG VIEW.
If the subfolders were also type "General items" they should have displayed in the same view. The operative word being should.
If the subfolders were other types (e.g. Pictures. Music, Videos, Documents) then the behavior is as expected.
But given that the first folder did not retain its view, it sounds like you've hit the 5000 saved views limit or there is corruption in the registry keys that hold the saved views.
You can increase the maximum saved views up to 20000 with a registry setting and you can clear out and reset all views to Windows defaults by deleting the BagMRU/Bags key pair (and then start again with "Apply to Folders" for each folder type).
However, I would recommend an easier fix which is to run my free WinSetView app to set the default views to your preferences. It does that by setting new defaults in the user part of the registry and then clearing out all saved views. Your folders will display in your preferred default when they are next opened. That also fixes any issues with corruption or hitting limits.
Nice advice - BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.
I did this with a generic folder. Opened a subfolder. WRONG VIEW. Change that. Did the steps again. Opened a subfolder. WRONG VIEW. Closed file explorer. Went back to the first folder and opened it. WRONG VIEW.
How is it that something so basic got SO BROKEN?
doesnt work. the "apply to folders" button is blocked.
The "Apply to Folders" button is not available for some folder types, such as Libraries and Search results. Explorer only lets you set those views manually as you go.
However, if you do want more control over the default views, you can use my free WinSetView tool to set the defaults for all folder types and and all file open/save dialogs. It works by setting registry values that Explorer already supports. There are no tasks or services or patching involved.
doesnt work. the "apply to folders" button is blocked.