Windows 11 - how do I set default view for details (other thread solutions don't work or Windows 11)

Anonymous
2023-03-19T14:30:57+00:00

Every time I select the details view in a folder, I have to re-select what details I want (file type, length, etc) to the same thing. I have read many threads, but they seem to not be for Windows 11. There is no "Organize" option that I can see.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer recommended by moderator
Anonymous
2024-10-24T15:56:31+00:00

This:

https://lesferch.github.io/WinSetView/

Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-22T15:37:31+00:00

    Without further details, I can only guess at how the "Apply to Folders" procedure is not working for you. It could be that your new default view works in Explorer, but not in file open/save dialog views, or it could be that it doesn't work for special views such as libraries or search results, or it could be that the new default is not even applying to folders of the same type as viewed in Explorer.

    Without going into all the details, you should be able to resolve most of those issues by first clearing out all saved views in the registry before doing the "Apply to Folders" procedure. You can do that by following the procedure here:

    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-folder-view-settings-to-default-in-windows-11-file-explorer.1279/

    Or you can use my free WinSetView tool. It will deal with all of those issues. In the end, it only clears and sets registry values (i.e. nothing is "installed") so there's no downside to using the tool.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T13:11:06+00:00

    Dave,

    Thank for replying to the issue of setting the view on all folders to a desired setting. You provide the "standard" response to this question. Unfortunately, it does not work. Any other ideas?

    Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-30T01:08:36+00:00

    What three dots? I have no three dots on my file explorer.

    If you are running Windows 11, with the standard Windows 11 Explorer, it's on the command bar to the right of the View menu:

    If your Explorer interface looks different, then you may be running Windows 10 or you may have a patch installed that has switched your Explorer to the Windows 10 style.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-30T00:41:34+00:00

    What three dots? I have no three dots on my file explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments