Windows 11 - how do I set default view for details (other thread solutions don't work or Windows 11)

Anonymous
2023-03-19T14:30:57+00:00

Every time I select the details view in a folder, I have to re-select what details I want (file type, length, etc) to the same thing. I have read many threads, but they seem to not be for Windows 11. There is no "Organize" option that I can see.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer recommended by moderator
Anonymous
2024-10-24T15:56:31+00:00

This:

https://lesferch.github.io/WinSetView/

Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-30T01:08:36+00:00

    What three dots? I have no three dots on my file explorer.

    If you are running Windows 11, with the standard Windows 11 Explorer, it's on the command bar to the right of the View menu:

    If your Explorer interface looks different, then you may be running Windows 10 or you may have a patch installed that has switched your Explorer to the Windows 10 style.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-30T00:41:34+00:00

    What three dots? I have no three dots on my file explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-12-13T02:09:21+00:00

    I did this with a generic folder. Opened a subfolder. WRONG VIEW. Change that. Did the steps again. Opened a subfolder. WRONG VIEW. Closed file explorer. Went back to the first folder and opened it. WRONG VIEW.

    If the subfolders were also type "General items" they should have displayed in the same view. The operative word being should.

    If the subfolders were other types (e.g. Pictures. Music, Videos, Documents) then the behavior is as expected.

    But given that the first folder did not retain its view, it sounds like you've hit the 5000 saved views limit or there is corruption in the registry keys that hold the saved views.

    You can increase the maximum saved views up to 20000 with a registry setting and you can clear out and reset all views to Windows defaults by deleting the BagMRU/Bags key pair (and then start again with "Apply to Folders" for each folder type).

    However, I would recommend an easier fix which is to run my free WinSetView app to set the default views to your preferences. It does that by setting new defaults in the user part of the registry and then clearing out all saved views. Your folders will display in your preferred default when they are next opened. That also fixes any issues with corruption or hitting limits.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-13T01:33:03+00:00

    Nice advice - BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.

    I did this with a generic folder. Opened a subfolder. WRONG VIEW. Change that. Did the steps again. Opened a subfolder. WRONG VIEW. Closed file explorer. Went back to the first folder and opened it. WRONG VIEW.

    How is it that something so basic got SO BROKEN?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments