Windows 11 - how do I set default view for details (other thread solutions don't work or Windows 11)

Anonymous
2023-03-19T14:30:57+00:00

Every time I select the details view in a folder, I have to re-select what details I want (file type, length, etc) to the same thing. I have read many threads, but they seem to not be for Windows 11. There is no "Organize" option that I can see.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer recommended by moderator
Anonymous
2024-10-24T15:56:31+00:00

This:

https://lesferch.github.io/WinSetView/

Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you so much for the time to create this and then to share it. Just the thing for doing what Windows should be doing!

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-26T22:38:35+00:00

    Hey everyone! Not sure if this thread is still buzzing, but here’s what’s going on:

    Windows automatically assigns a “template” whenever you create a new folder. Unfortunately, subfolders don’t always inherit that template, so you end up with a patchwork of different views. That’s why the usual Options → Apply to Folders button doesn’t seem to stick—it only affects folders that already share the same template.

    Here’s an easy fix:

    1. Open the top-level folder you want as the standard.
    2. Right-click → Properties → Customize.
    3. From the drop-down, pick the "template" you prefer. (General Items, Documents, Pictures, etc)
    4. Check “Also apply this template to all subfolders,” then hit Apply.
    5. Tweak this folder’s view however you like—Details, no Status Bar, columns, the works.
    6. Go to Options → View and click Apply to Folders.

    All subfolders should now mirror your layout.

    The only catch: this template applies to every folder of that type across your system, no matter where it lives.

    Hope that tidies things up!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T13:11:06+00:00

    Dave,

    Thank for replying to the issue of setting the view on all folders to a desired setting. You provide the "standard" response to this question. Unfortunately, it does not work. Any other ideas?

    Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T00:42:54+00:00

    doesnt work. the "apply to folders" button is blocked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-24T13:23:01+00:00

    That actually does NOT work. I have done the same thing and still other folders have the same default “date mod, type, size” details. I want all my folders to only be “date created” why is such a simple thing not possible in windows 11?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments