No audio after latest windows update. How to fix?

Anonymous
2023-03-16T15:16:25+00:00

The update is "2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5023706)" and after I downloaded this update all my audio stopped functioning. Headset, monitor, everything. I have tried so many online suggestions including updating drivers, messing around with settings as per fix tutorial, ran a virus scan just in case but still nothing. Interestingly I found that the NVIDIA audio thing says disconnected. Not sure if that was like that before the update but I doubt it. Again, I tried various fixes including drivers, etc. Did anyone else have this problem and know a fix that actually works cause I am done wasting time on this frankly stupid and irritating problem.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-28T18:36:23+00:00

    Hi DistApsis,

    I'm Paul and I'm here to help you with your concern.

    Since the issue happened after an update, I will first suggest that you use System Restore to restore your Windows to the point before the issue persists.
    To open System Restore, Press Windows Key + R > Type and enter: rstrui.exe.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted.

    ive done that but i reach a point where they say create a restore point and i dont know what to do

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-03T20:22:51+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-17T12:39:31+00:00

    sound probleam after update

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-09T01:22:05+00:00

    After a Windows update to my surface book, I lost all wifi and wireless options, including hotspot. After I share my pain, I do have a solution simpler than anything posted that I have seen. After spending three hours on it myself last weekend, I went to the Best Buy Geek Squad who said check back in 10 minutes. After 15 minutes, I was told they would need two days. They When I picked it up, it still did not work. They sold me wifi adapter for about $40 and sent me on my way. When I got home, the instructions said "download a driver", except I had no way of accessing the internet to download a driver. Back to Best Buy. They substituted a wifi adapter that did not need a driver dowloaded. Back to the house. Indeed, I had internet access thru my wireless system. But, my computer had now audio. Back to the Geek Squad. This time their "best guy worked on it. And now for the solution....

    He discovered that the update turned off wifi and audio, and he had to go into BIOS and turn them back on. Then, everything functioned normally. I did not need the wifi adapter (refunded me the money), and I had all audio functions back. So......

    Before you try other in depth fixes like reinstalling your Operating System, find the BIOS settings and turn your wifi and audio back on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-09T12:57:15+00:00

    Hey Paul!

    If you require a workaround, installing default drivers from your device manufacturer works but you'll then have to put Windows Updates on hold.

    I've reached out to MS yesterday on my issue and all I had were also workarounds that I have already tried. I am hoping either the team managing Windows Updates reaches out to Realtek to check on the concern or someone informs them.

    I posted a question in the Windows 11 thread hoping someone has a resolution to reply with.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments