BSOD errors after upgrading CPU and RAM?

Anonymous
2023-03-16T16:40:03+00:00

So I upgraded my CPU and RAM last month, and after a week or so I started getting random bluescreens. It started with one random bsod when shutting down my pc (though it happened too quick for me to note the error codes, on Feb 20th), then my pc was fine for a while. About 1 week later, my pc would randomly shut down and give the 'paged fault in nonpaged area' bsod - once while idly on desktop, and once while playing Apex Legends (both on March 1st, and once more on the 2nd). I googled and ran WMDT which flagged a hardware error, so I replaced all my ram (4x8gb), which seemed to fix the WMDT errors and everything was fine for the past two weeks. Last night however, I had the familiar blue screen when I went to shutdown, idk if its the same error as that first time, but I did note down the code this time:

FAST_ERESOURCE_PRECONDITION_VIOLATION

My hope is that its just a software error, but I'm naturally quite worried it could be a CPU or motherboard issue, and the CPU is dangerously close to the end of the refund window...

The only changes I made for my new components was to update the bios to latest version, turned on XMP for the ram, and updated chipset drivers.

I managed to find the .dmp files for each of the crashes, though the info given by WinDbg is completely alien to me, so I have no idea what I'm looking at.

This link has all of the .dmp files for the BSOD crashes I've had, only the most recent one (031523-15546-01.dmp) is from after RAM replacement: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlowieh6anh4m5z/CRASHES%20-%20Copy.zip?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-18T10:54:51+00:00

    Thankfully the CPU is within the return window so Amazon can fully refund it, I'm just biting the bullet and ordering a new one in the meantime. At the very least its cheaper now than when I paid for it, and if there's still issues with the new one then I can at least cross it off as the cause... I'll try the other hardware suggestions tomorrow, thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-03-18T07:37:21+00:00

    Hi Emma,

    Sorry, I was offline, I don't think this s caused by a hardware issue, that new installation seems to be corrupt.

    Click your Start Button, then just type msinfo and press Enter, please provide a screenshot of the resulting System Information window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-18T00:40:10+00:00

    "I have no idea what is going on and its honestly stressing me out a lot."

    Been there lol.

    You can still keep trying to see if something in Windows can solve it. If you keep spinning your wheels there then I'd suggest changing the approach to something else I point out here.

    It is possible for the issue to be hardware related and have the results change. That can be difficult to figure out when you get into that.

    How you go about it is basically up to you though as its highly subjective. There's also advanced things.

    There's no easy way to test if the CPU is faulty. If you have 2+ sticks of RAM you can try one at a time and see if it improves. It could be with the CPU, RAM, BIOS, something that resulted from the hardware upgrade, or hardware not installed quite right (so you could also try opening it up again and pulling the CPU and RAM and then putting it back again and after cleaning and pasting the heatsink again).

    You could try a different OS. Unfortunately, Windows 11 is mostly Windows 10 so its not a great alternative but does work (and to clean install that too). I'd use Linux but you need to understand what is or isn't there that you may experience.

    You can also try to RMA or returning the parts for others if still within the return period. A lot of people jump too fast on this however and still see problems after so its often not the best way to go without trying more but works out for some people. Or if you don't mind the cost, then you could just buy whatever new parts instead and see what happens.

    Some other possibilities may exist including trying a new motherboard for instance of another compatible year to the CPU and RAM. Etc (stuff not said lol. I can't say it all).

    Its not a fun situation to deal with. Personally, I don't think anyone can really decide but you.

    Hope the best :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-17T23:48:16+00:00

    Hi Dave,

    Bad news - fresh installing worked perfectly for a little while, but after installing some programs and changing some settings (no settings different to before/after any issues started) im having whole different issues. Ive restarted a ton today trying to pinpoint the issue, but it seems that completely randomly:

    1. when i log in the taskbar will have no icons on it, and will give the loading circle when hovering over it.
    2. the start windows button does not respond when i click, nor does the search icon.

    Sometimes 1. and 2. occur together, sometimes its just 2., but either way it seems completely random and is something I have never dealt with before.

    Additionally, the times where it does work, it will sometimes take an inexplicably long time to open programs like file explorer, other times its instant. I have no idea what is going on and its honestly stressing me out a lot.

    Is this a hardware issue??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-03-17T17:00:50+00:00

    Hi Emma,

    The best option is to disconnect the other drives while you are installing Windows, because there is a known bug where the boot partition would not be created on the SSD if the other drives are connected.

    Then when the installation process is complete, if Windows does not boot up automatically from the SSD, you will need to change the boot order in BIOS

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments