BSOD errors after upgrading CPU and RAM?

Anonymous
2023-03-16T16:40:03+00:00

So I upgraded my CPU and RAM last month, and after a week or so I started getting random bluescreens. It started with one random bsod when shutting down my pc (though it happened too quick for me to note the error codes, on Feb 20th), then my pc was fine for a while. About 1 week later, my pc would randomly shut down and give the 'paged fault in nonpaged area' bsod - once while idly on desktop, and once while playing Apex Legends (both on March 1st, and once more on the 2nd). I googled and ran WMDT which flagged a hardware error, so I replaced all my ram (4x8gb), which seemed to fix the WMDT errors and everything was fine for the past two weeks. Last night however, I had the familiar blue screen when I went to shutdown, idk if its the same error as that first time, but I did note down the code this time:

FAST_ERESOURCE_PRECONDITION_VIOLATION

My hope is that its just a software error, but I'm naturally quite worried it could be a CPU or motherboard issue, and the CPU is dangerously close to the end of the refund window...

The only changes I made for my new components was to update the bios to latest version, turned on XMP for the ram, and updated chipset drivers.

I managed to find the .dmp files for each of the crashes, though the info given by WinDbg is completely alien to me, so I have no idea what I'm looking at.

This link has all of the .dmp files for the BSOD crashes I've had, only the most recent one (031523-15546-01.dmp) is from after RAM replacement: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlowieh6anh4m5z/CRASHES%20-%20Copy.zip?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-03-18T11:34:18+00:00

    Okay Emma.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-18T11:33:08+00:00

    Alright, I'll give this a go.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-03-18T11:32:29+00:00

    Hi Emma,

    Yes, you can connect the mouse and keyboard during the repair and Defender is okay, you do not need to disable that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-18T11:29:33+00:00

    Alright I will try this, is it okay for the mouse and keyboard to be attached via a USB extension hub? Just realised that I might as well check that this wouldn't be an issue...

    I also have no anti-virus installed, except that that installs with windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-03-18T11:24:56+00:00

    Hi Emma,

    Sorry about that, it was only if you did not have the USB.

    Here are the steps:

    Insert the USB into your PC

    Disconnect from the Internet

    Disconnect all external devices with the exception of a mouse or keyboard.

    Temporarily disable any 3rd party Anti-virus you may have installed

    Then, in Windows File Explorer, open the USB and then run Setup.exe and select the upgrade option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments