BSOD errors after upgrading CPU and RAM?

Anonymous
2023-03-16T16:40:03+00:00

So I upgraded my CPU and RAM last month, and after a week or so I started getting random bluescreens. It started with one random bsod when shutting down my pc (though it happened too quick for me to note the error codes, on Feb 20th), then my pc was fine for a while. About 1 week later, my pc would randomly shut down and give the 'paged fault in nonpaged area' bsod - once while idly on desktop, and once while playing Apex Legends (both on March 1st, and once more on the 2nd). I googled and ran WMDT which flagged a hardware error, so I replaced all my ram (4x8gb), which seemed to fix the WMDT errors and everything was fine for the past two weeks. Last night however, I had the familiar blue screen when I went to shutdown, idk if its the same error as that first time, but I did note down the code this time:

FAST_ERESOURCE_PRECONDITION_VIOLATION

My hope is that its just a software error, but I'm naturally quite worried it could be a CPU or motherboard issue, and the CPU is dangerously close to the end of the refund window...

The only changes I made for my new components was to update the bios to latest version, turned on XMP for the ram, and updated chipset drivers.

I managed to find the .dmp files for each of the crashes, though the info given by WinDbg is completely alien to me, so I have no idea what I'm looking at.

This link has all of the .dmp files for the BSOD crashes I've had, only the most recent one (031523-15546-01.dmp) is from after RAM replacement: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlowieh6anh4m5z/CRASHES%20-%20Copy.zip?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-03-16T18:30:11+00:00

    Hi Emma,

    Resetting Windows while keeping you files will basically install a new version of Windows, but as far as I know, only your files stored in your user folder will be kept and all your software will need to be re-installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-16T18:14:51+00:00

    Yeah I'd rather not be that first person lol... If I did a quick reset using the 'keep my files' option, could this help anything? I can get myself an external storage SSD but obviously that will have to wait for delivery and theres a chance the issues could worsen between now and then...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-16T18:12:15+00:00

    Alright so it seems like this will have to wait until I can get a new drive delivered.. just an external ssd would be fine, right? I shouldn't need more storage than the total amount my B and C drives currently occupy?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-03-16T18:09:20+00:00

    Hi Emma,

    It is always important to have a backup even if you are not experiencing problems with Windows, a drive can fail at any time, one copy of your files is never enough.

    I have never seen anyone having a problem with Driver Verifier that caused data loss, but there is always a first time...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-16T18:08:45+00:00

    "Is there a way I can avoid having to back-up all my files? I just only have one 1TB external hard drive which is pretty full already, so there's not really a place I can back it all up to..."

    You should buy a backup drive. Really really should :)

    There's ways around this without backing up but other than finding the space then its too advanced for testing a clean OS install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments