Win 10 Pro 22H2, Ethernet upload speed slow, Wireless and Ethernet in safe mode just fine

Anonymous
2023-02-03T04:01:46+00:00

My Win 10 machine has upload speeds under 1Mbps when using an Ethernet connection. Wireless upload speed is 15-20Mbps. Safe mode Etnernet connection is also 15-20Mbps. Here's what I've tried:

Any other ideas?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-03T04:44:15+00:00

    Surprised I figured it out. My PC (Dell) uses the Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. Turning off the Killer Prioritization Engine fixed this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-03T04:47:49+00:00

    Hi, MidwestSteve,

    My name is Cindy. I am sorry you are having this problem. I know it is really frustrating. I will do my best to help you with this problem.

    Please note: This is a user-to-user community forum. We are users just like you who help others. We are not employees of Microsoft.

    ___

    Please turn and unplug the modem for 30 seconds. Then turn it back on. Restart your computer once the modem has come back on.

    Check to see if the problem has been fixed.

    ___

    Make sure your computer is currently up to date.

    Please type update in the search and open the page.

    Update if necessary.

    On the same page click on the additional or advanced options and update if necessary.

    ___

    Windows has a feature that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. I have enclosed the directions below. You can cut and paste the code.

    1. Type cdm in the search box. Do not hit enter.
    2. select Run as Administrator then hit enter.
    3. Then type without the quotes. "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" and hit enter.

    On the same page run these scan one at a time.

    sfc /scannow

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

    Hardware troubleshooter

    Please press Windows key + R Key

    Paste the command below into the run box and press Enter:

    msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic

    ____

    Try Modifying the Internet Bandwidth Settings on your computer.

    Press Win key and R key at the same time.

    Type gpedit.msc and click OK.

    Go to Administrative Templates

    Click on Network

    Select Qos Packet Scheduler

    Click on limit reservable bandwidth.

    Click to Enable and change the value to 100.

    Click Apply & click OK.

    Restart the computer and see if this fixes the problem.

    ___

    The next step would be to reset the IP address.

    I know you have tried some of these but there are a few different ones.

    Please copy and paste each onto the page one at a time in order.

    I have enclosed the directions below.

    Please click on the Windows Keys and the S key.

    Type cdm on the search line (do not hit enter)

    Select run as administrator. Then click on Run.

    Enter each of the codes below in order.

    ipconfig /release

    ipconfig /flushdns

    ipconfig /renew

    netsh winsock reset

    netsh interface ipv4 reset

    netsh interface ipv6 reset

    netsh winsock reset catalog

    netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

    netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

    Please let me know if you continue to have a problem or questions.

    Best Wishes,

    Cindy

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-06T23:48:43+00:00

    Thank You, i was literally out the door to buy new hardware [ethernet PCIE card] which i oviously didnt need, your post fixed my slow upload speed. i took a Dell update a few days ago that iam sure started this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-07T00:13:37+00:00

    Glad it helped. After I changed that setting I uninstalled the Killer software. Unfortunately it went back to having a slow upload speed, so it’s one more unnecessary app on my PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-05T19:50:57+00:00

    I downloaded the most recent (as of 3/5/23) Killer drivers Killer-PCIe-Ethernet-Controller-Driver_RWTJJ_WIN_33.22.1182_A50.exe and when I ran it I got 3 choices: modify, repair, remove. I chose the remove and after it finished there was a restart and voila DL and UL speeds were at or above my ISP plan! Yay. The driver was 9.0.0.50 and there was no Killer Performance software. I did set a restore point.

    For grins, I did some more research and somewhere along the line I saw Intel (the new owners of Rivet Killer) articles about the MS Store as a source of drivers and also how to prevent it from updating Killer from the Store. I didn't follow up on those leads. I then ran the Dell download again and let it fully install Killer driver and software. The driver stayed the same but the Killer Performance software was now re-installed. And guess whose UL speeds were less than 1.0 mbps again! I used the right click uninstall the software but it did nothing for the speed problem. I suspect the original problem settings of the software were left behind somewhere and the uninstall was far short of a cleaning.

    I re-ran the Dell download as before, did a removal and everything was once again running at top speeds. At no time in all of this did I try the settings for Killer Prioritization Engine or anything else. The Killer Performance software is less than intuitive to say the least. I never found/read a user guide. Maybe if Killer "comes back" I will pursue that angle.

    Meanwhile I would be also interested to know if there are other network adapter drivers "out there" that would work without the useless bells and whistles of the (ahem) performance software.

    Regards to All

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments