Win 10 Pro 22H2, Ethernet upload speed slow, Wireless and Ethernet in safe mode just fine

Anonymous
2023-02-03T04:01:46+00:00

My Win 10 machine has upload speeds under 1Mbps when using an Ethernet connection. Wireless upload speed is 15-20Mbps. Safe mode Etnernet connection is also 15-20Mbps. Here's what I've tried:

Any other ideas?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-03T04:44:15+00:00

    Surprised I figured it out. My PC (Dell) uses the Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. Turning off the Killer Prioritization Engine fixed this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-06T23:48:43+00:00

    Thank You, i was literally out the door to buy new hardware [ethernet PCIE card] which i oviously didnt need, your post fixed my slow upload speed. i took a Dell update a few days ago that iam sure started this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-07T00:25:19+00:00

    My desktop has been fine since i turned off the Killer Prioritization Engine, not 1 hitch, but it sure doesnt say much for microsoft, Dell, and the oweners of KIller software does it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-05T19:50:57+00:00

    I downloaded the most recent (as of 3/5/23) Killer drivers Killer-PCIe-Ethernet-Controller-Driver_RWTJJ_WIN_33.22.1182_A50.exe and when I ran it I got 3 choices: modify, repair, remove. I chose the remove and after it finished there was a restart and voila DL and UL speeds were at or above my ISP plan! Yay. The driver was 9.0.0.50 and there was no Killer Performance software. I did set a restore point.

    For grins, I did some more research and somewhere along the line I saw Intel (the new owners of Rivet Killer) articles about the MS Store as a source of drivers and also how to prevent it from updating Killer from the Store. I didn't follow up on those leads. I then ran the Dell download again and let it fully install Killer driver and software. The driver stayed the same but the Killer Performance software was now re-installed. And guess whose UL speeds were less than 1.0 mbps again! I used the right click uninstall the software but it did nothing for the speed problem. I suspect the original problem settings of the software were left behind somewhere and the uninstall was far short of a cleaning.

    I re-ran the Dell download as before, did a removal and everything was once again running at top speeds. At no time in all of this did I try the settings for Killer Prioritization Engine or anything else. The Killer Performance software is less than intuitive to say the least. I never found/read a user guide. Maybe if Killer "comes back" I will pursue that angle.

    Meanwhile I would be also interested to know if there are other network adapter drivers "out there" that would work without the useless bells and whistles of the (ahem) performance software.

    Regards to All

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-06T18:46:51+00:00

    I downloaded the most recent (as of 3/5/23) Killer drivers Killer-PCIe-Ethernet-Controller-Driver_RWTJJ_WIN_33.22.1182_A50.exe and when I ran it I got 3 choices: modify, repair, remove. I chose the remove and after it finished there was a restart and voila DL and UL speeds were at or above my ISP plan! Yay. The driver was 9.0.0.50 and there was no Killer Performance software. I did set a restore point.

    The Remove option worked for me, after trying for months and getting advice elsewhere.

    Was getting 300 down, 2 up for months; now I'm back up to 307.89 down, 236.01 up.

    One thing to note: after I chose the remove option and ran the installation routine, I did get an error prompt saying it had NOT completed correctly. That concerned me, but I decided to just reboot anyway.

    Thanks so much StephenRudolph!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments