Error 0x8007016A: The cloud file provider is not running. OneDrive Access Lost. Cannot open, copy, or move files.

Anonymous
2023-05-22T14:47:06+00:00

I lost access to a OneDrive account. I cannot regain access to that account. Many (or all) of the files for my OneDrive were present on the local PC when access was lost, but they were in the process of being synced with the cloud copy. The files are now marked with a grey X on the file icon. Any effort to move or copy the files gets the Error 0x8007016A error. Any effort to open the files in Word, Excel, Acrobat get error messages that the file can't be opened.

I believe the files are present on the local PC because the filenames have the correct extensions and the file sizes are what you would expect for a full copy.

It appears like all of these files are locked in some kind of "sync" status for OneDrive that makes them unavailable. Is there any way to force a change in that status to unlock them? I don't need the cloud version, the version on the local PC will be fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

54 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-28T11:52:22+00:00

    How can I get to Settings. When I open Onedrive I simply get a picture of my Explorer.exe page with the problem still there. I'd love to find a reset button but any link I use simply seems to suggest I should subscribe to 365!!! I am in my mid-80s so not too techy but even so, this should be feasible, but I cannot see how.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-28T19:38:23+00:00

    I have been doing computers for more than half a century. I do not know what Sign in to OneDrive means.

    Are you getting the same error as in the title of this discussion? Do you have a OneDrive icon in the lower-right area of Windows?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-29T22:29:27+00:00

    I have been doing computers for more than half a century. I do not know what Sign in to OneDrive means.

    Are you getting the same error as in the title of this discussion? Do you have a OneDrive icon in the lower-right area of Windows?

    You don't know how to click on onedrive and type your email and password in? How can you not know what sign in to onedrive means?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-03T13:52:37+00:00

    how to delete this error file 0x8007016A

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-04T16:11:13+00:00

    There is no OneDrive icon or button or link or anything to click on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments