Error 0x8007016A: The cloud file provider is not running. OneDrive Access Lost. Cannot open, copy, or move files.

Anonymous
2023-05-22T14:47:06+00:00

I lost access to a OneDrive account. I cannot regain access to that account. Many (or all) of the files for my OneDrive were present on the local PC when access was lost, but they were in the process of being synced with the cloud copy. The files are now marked with a grey X on the file icon. Any effort to move or copy the files gets the Error 0x8007016A error. Any effort to open the files in Word, Excel, Acrobat get error messages that the file can't be opened.

I believe the files are present on the local PC because the filenames have the correct extensions and the file sizes are what you would expect for a full copy.

It appears like all of these files are locked in some kind of "sync" status for OneDrive that makes them unavailable. Is there any way to force a change in that status to unlock them? I don't need the cloud version, the version on the local PC will be fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

54 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T11:39:23+00:00

    Yes, I always save my files to my computer but one day I suddenly noticed that Microsoft Word had starting saving all my files to One Drive without asking me!! I was so mad, as my space in One drive was nearly full up! I had to go in and change the settings that I had not changed in the first place!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-23T09:45:07+00:00

    Thank you bro its working

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-07-03T01:25:45+00:00

    Click onedrive icon on the task bar, click the setting icon on the top right, select Settings, click unlink this pc. Booom!

    Thanks 😊

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-07-05T04:55:14+00:00

    Hi,

    My phone is connected to my pc through "Link to Windows". I can access and view files.

    I want to copy pictures (or any file) Google drive (available and synched) or to a local HDD on my pc. I can access both and view them through the file browser in "Link to Windows". SO, no access right problems at this stage.

    NOW, when trying to move or copy files to GDrive or Local HDD.

    I get this error. Error 0x8007016A:

    The only special thing I have is that the Microsoft account has another microsoft account hiding, given to me by Microsoft security/customer service. So my "real" microsoft account will appear as non-existing to the bad guys,

    Any ideas.

    Best regards

    Christer

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments