Error 0x8007016A: The cloud file provider is not running. OneDrive Access Lost. Cannot open, copy, or move files.

Anonymous
2023-05-22T14:47:06+00:00

I lost access to a OneDrive account. I cannot regain access to that account. Many (or all) of the files for my OneDrive were present on the local PC when access was lost, but they were in the process of being synced with the cloud copy. The files are now marked with a grey X on the file icon. Any effort to move or copy the files gets the Error 0x8007016A error. Any effort to open the files in Word, Excel, Acrobat get error messages that the file can't be opened.

I believe the files are present on the local PC because the filenames have the correct extensions and the file sizes are what you would expect for a full copy.

It appears like all of these files are locked in some kind of "sync" status for OneDrive that makes them unavailable. Is there any way to force a change in that status to unlock them? I don't need the cloud version, the version on the local PC will be fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

54 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-30T04:36:16+00:00

    I was having the same issue. (Error 0x8007016A) 🙄

    I Googled this and this thread came up.

    Tried all the suggestions but I couldn't find the "settings" or nothing popped up for me when I clicked on the taskbar area, etc etc etc.

    (Windows 10, on an old Dell XPS 13, yes updated.)

    However, I went to "Start" > (scroll down to) "Settings" > "Accounts" > "E-Mail & Accounts".

    I simply clicked on the Microsoft Account associated with the OneDrive account that I was having problems with.

    I clicked on the "Manage" tab.

    It had me do the annoying re-log in (etc etc) via Authenticator App, or e-mail/phone verification (etc etc).

    (However you have it personally set up.)

    That seemed to work. 👏

    I ALSO went to the "Your Info", at top-left.

    I saw something like "verify account". I did. (I can't remember the exact wordage.)

    I verified via more authentications/verifications.

    Seemed to work for me. I was able to access my OneDrive account that was giving me that FRUSTRATING error.

    Hope that helps somebody out there! 😃

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-30T03:03:17+00:00

    So, not only is this error continuing to pop up, but when I click on the OneDrive app to open it and sign in, it only opens my file manager to the OneDrive file folder. It will not open the app, nor will it allow me access to anything on the laptop. I am trying to transfer everything over to a new computer. the documents in question don't even show up in my OneDrive app on my other shared devices. I'm at an absolute stand-still with this. What can I do without being able to get into the OneDrive app?

    I was having the same issue. When I searched for OneDrive and clicked on it, it would NOT open the app. It opened the Windows Explorer location for OneDrives files.

    The folder that has documents that I can't move or delete (and get error message) is not even the OneDrive folder location! How does that make sense?

    I got frustrated and uninstalled OneDrive which still did not get rid of the error message, nor allowed me access to the documents!

    What now?

    When I execute OneDrive I also get an Explorer window for my OneDrive folder but I also get an icon for OneDrive in the Taskbar Notification Area ("system tray"). For me the icon is not there before executing OneDrive and is there after executing OneDrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-29T20:24:53+00:00

    So, not only is this error continuing to pop up, but when I click on the OneDrive app to open it and sign in, it only opens my file manager to the OneDrive file folder. It will not open the app, nor will it allow me access to anything on the laptop. I am trying to transfer everything over to a new computer. the documents in question don't even show up in my OneDrive app on my other shared devices. I'm at an absolute stand-still with this. What can I do without being able to get into the OneDrive app?

    I was having the same issue. When I searched for OneDrive and clicked on it, it would NOT open the app. It opened the Windows Explorer location for OneDrives files.

    The folder that has documents that I can't move or delete (and get error message) is not even the OneDrive folder location! How does that make sense?

    I got frustrated and uninstalled OneDrive which still did not get rid of the error message, nor allowed me access to the documents!

    What now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T02:24:45+00:00

    So, not only is this error continuing to pop up, but when I click on the OneDrive app to open it and sign in, it only opens my file manager to the OneDrive file folder. It will not open the app, nor will it allow me access to anything on the laptop. I am trying to transfer everything over to a new computer. the documents in question don't even show up in my OneDrive app on my other shared devices. I'm at an absolute stand-still with this. What can I do without being able to get into the OneDrive app?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T14:35:10+00:00

    Thank you so very much! I could not figure this out for the longest time!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments