Error 0x8007016A: The cloud file provider is not running. OneDrive Access Lost. Cannot open, copy, or move files.

Anonymous
2023-05-22T14:47:06+00:00

I lost access to a OneDrive account. I cannot regain access to that account. Many (or all) of the files for my OneDrive were present on the local PC when access was lost, but they were in the process of being synced with the cloud copy. The files are now marked with a grey X on the file icon. Any effort to move or copy the files gets the Error 0x8007016A error. Any effort to open the files in Word, Excel, Acrobat get error messages that the file can't be opened.

I believe the files are present on the local PC because the filenames have the correct extensions and the file sizes are what you would expect for a full copy.

It appears like all of these files are locked in some kind of "sync" status for OneDrive that makes them unavailable. Is there any way to force a change in that status to unlock them? I don't need the cloud version, the version on the local PC will be fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

54 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-08T08:24:34+00:00

    Hello, I dont have access to the one drive account anymorenbut all my files should be backed up on my computer. However im getting the same error code. can anyone help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-07T18:47:33+00:00

    Neither of these solutions helped me and I need a new computer anyway so am not that concerned.. My question is: How does it effect my computer that I have these things on my desktop that cannot be deleted. One is a pdf file and one is a folder with a bunch of files. Are they using any resources?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-25T07:49:20+00:00

    an unexpected error is keeping you from deleting the file. if you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. error 0x8007016a: the. cloud file provider is not running.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T17:38:31+00:00

    I tried your solution, and unfortunately, digging deeper, I found this.

    I had an old system. Windows.old, right? Ok. Well, let's say I was preserving disk space and accidentally deleted the actual user profile associated with the OneDrive account in question.

    I've already emptied the Recycle Bin numerous times since then.

    C:\Windows.old\Users\dakot\OneDrive is the account in question.

    Those files are showing up in the new user account - C:\Users\Dakota_Slovacek1\OneDrive

    and are locked just like the other person's.

    Any fix to this mess?

    Thank you so much in advance if anything can be done,

    Dakota Slovacek, CNA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T05:49:49+00:00

    how to turn on cloud responder

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments