Why can't I set different wallpapers to my monitors when I have more than one desktop open windows 11

Anonymous
2023-04-13T18:50:30+00:00

I used to be able to have two virtual desktops, and when my main desktop is open and connected to my monitor, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 had two different wallpapers. Now when I go into settings under personalization to change my monitor wallpapers, it only allows me to have different wallpapers for desktops one and two after right-clicking the desired picture instead of the usual monitor one and two. When I delete my second desktop, the options to change the wallpaper for monitors one and two come back but once I set it and add back the second desktop, everything resets to the same wallpaper- erasing all of the changes I made. I use both of my desktops and enjoy the personalization of being able to quickly identify from one monitor to the other.

Is there any way to have different wallpapers on my monitors while still having two desktops?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-30T04:55:31+00:00

Hi Megan, I am not from Microsoft. But I had the same problem as you, I could not set my backgrounds to what I want on 2 monitors. The problem was that I had 2 desktops running. To fix this press the windows key + tab and it will pop up with different desktops u have open, close the one you don't want. And when you go back into your background and display settings you can now pick which background you want to put on which monitor, aka the original of what it was supposed to be not chosen the desktops u want to put backgrounds on.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-19T11:43:53+00:00

    Make a wallpaper that spans all monitors. For example, if you have two 1920x1080 monitors you can make one 3840x1080 wallpaper from two images, and each monitor will display its 1920x1080 half of the image

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-10T08:47:21+00:00

    Was wondering about the same thing:

    I want 2 different Wallpapers on 2 Monitors AND Have 1 (or 2) different Wallpapers on 2 different Virtual Desktops

    Only 1 works at once,

    Any Update on this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-01T14:56:15+00:00

    THANK YOU.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-01T15:56:11+00:00

    I appreciate your feedback! However, I was asking if I could have the virtual desktops open and still have different wallpapers for my two monitors

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments