Hi Megan, I am not from Microsoft. But I had the same problem as you, I could not set my backgrounds to what I want on 2 monitors. The problem was that I had 2 desktops running. To fix this press the windows key + tab and it will pop up with different desktops u have open, close the one you don't want. And when you go back into your background and display settings you can now pick which background you want to put on which monitor, aka the original of what it was supposed to be not chosen the desktops u want to put backgrounds on.
Why can't I set different wallpapers to my monitors when I have more than one desktop open windows 11
I used to be able to have two virtual desktops, and when my main desktop is open and connected to my monitor, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 had two different wallpapers. Now when I go into settings under personalization to change my monitor wallpapers, it only allows me to have different wallpapers for desktops one and two after right-clicking the desired picture instead of the usual monitor one and two. When I delete my second desktop, the options to change the wallpaper for monitors one and two come back but once I set it and add back the second desktop, everything resets to the same wallpaper- erasing all of the changes I made. I use both of my desktops and enjoy the personalization of being able to quickly identify from one monitor to the other.
Is there any way to have different wallpapers on my monitors while still having two desktops?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2024-05-30T11:21:49+00:00 What you describe for setting the desktop backgrounds is exactly what I do, several times a day.
I have to do this repeatedly because the backgrounds automatically reset themselves whenever the PC is left idle for a short time.
I put one photo on Monitor 1 and a different photo on Monitor 2.
Then if I leave the PC alone for any amount of time, the background for Monitor 1 remains the same and Monitor 2 resets to the same as Monitor 1. Leaving the PC on overnight, result in the same action or sometimes it resets to "solid color" (usually black). All of this reverting to single picture or solid color, happens without user interaction.
-
Anonymous
2024-05-30T05:49:08+00:00 - I only have one question
-
Anonymous
2024-05-14T19:11:54+00:00 I did exactly as described in your post, and I got two different pictures, on on Montior 1 and a different picture on Monitor 2. Then I went to work, opened some windows and did a few tasks for about ten minutes, when I minimized all of the window both Monitors 1 and 2 had changed to the piture I had set for monitor 1, or on some days, the system reset both montors to no picture but "solid color" black background.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more