Why can't I set different wallpapers to my monitors when I have more than one desktop open windows 11

Anonymous
2023-04-13T18:50:30+00:00

I used to be able to have two virtual desktops, and when my main desktop is open and connected to my monitor, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 had two different wallpapers. Now when I go into settings under personalization to change my monitor wallpapers, it only allows me to have different wallpapers for desktops one and two after right-clicking the desired picture instead of the usual monitor one and two. When I delete my second desktop, the options to change the wallpaper for monitors one and two come back but once I set it and add back the second desktop, everything resets to the same wallpaper- erasing all of the changes I made. I use both of my desktops and enjoy the personalization of being able to quickly identify from one monitor to the other.

Is there any way to have different wallpapers on my monitors while still having two desktops?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-30T04:55:31+00:00

Hi Megan, I am not from Microsoft. But I had the same problem as you, I could not set my backgrounds to what I want on 2 monitors. The problem was that I had 2 desktops running. To fix this press the windows key + tab and it will pop up with different desktops u have open, close the one you don't want. And when you go back into your background and display settings you can now pick which background you want to put on which monitor, aka the original of what it was supposed to be not chosen the desktops u want to put backgrounds on.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-08T03:42:57+00:00

    This is still a problem in Aug 2024. I would like to use multiple desktops with multiple monitors. There was never an issue with windows 10 setting different wall papers or using a slideshow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-12T21:29:10+00:00

    TH you so MUCH

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-07T02:49:35+00:00

    I LOVE YOU <3333333333333333

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-05T21:29:15+00:00

    Maybe it's a little late but here is my solution:

    1. You need to remove or delete your "Desktops" Windows+Tab and click on X button of each Desktop.
    2. Now you will be able to Select beetwen Monitor 1, Monitor 2, etc on Background.
    3. Finally you can create again your Desktops with new wallpapers

    This is the solution, recommend!

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments