Hi Megan, I am not from Microsoft. But I had the same problem as you, I could not set my backgrounds to what I want on 2 monitors. The problem was that I had 2 desktops running. To fix this press the windows key + tab and it will pop up with different desktops u have open, close the one you don't want. And when you go back into your background and display settings you can now pick which background you want to put on which monitor, aka the original of what it was supposed to be not chosen the desktops u want to put backgrounds on.
Why can't I set different wallpapers to my monitors when I have more than one desktop open windows 11
I used to be able to have two virtual desktops, and when my main desktop is open and connected to my monitor, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 had two different wallpapers. Now when I go into settings under personalization to change my monitor wallpapers, it only allows me to have different wallpapers for desktops one and two after right-clicking the desired picture instead of the usual monitor one and two. When I delete my second desktop, the options to change the wallpaper for monitors one and two come back but once I set it and add back the second desktop, everything resets to the same wallpaper- erasing all of the changes I made. I use both of my desktops and enjoy the personalization of being able to quickly identify from one monitor to the other.
Is there any way to have different wallpapers on my monitors while still having two desktops?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2025-02-04T17:16:37+00:00 Hi Megan, I am not from Microsoft. But I had the same problem as you, I could not set my backgrounds to what I want on 2 monitors. The problem was that I had 2 desktops running. To fix this press the windows key + tab and it will pop up with different desktops u have open, close the one you don't want. And when you go back into your background and display settings you can now pick which background you want to put on which monitor, aka the original of what it was supposed to be not chosen the desktops u want to put backgrounds on.
Thank youu!
This worked for me as well, i had the same problem.
-
Anonymous
2024-12-09T19:05:23+00:00 when i set a wallpaper for just my first monitor, it sets it for all monitors, and when i do it on the second monitor, it does nothing and it keeps the original background for all desktops.
-
Anonymous
2024-11-02T13:12:15+00:00 I solved my issue. I inadvertently had two identicle desktops. Once I deleted one of them, the wallpaper options were for Monitor 1 and Monitor 2. Apparently, multiple desktops cannot have different wallpapers. Apparently a single desktop within multiples cannot have different wallpapers for separate monitors.
-
Anonymous
2024-10-21T18:21:11+00:00 In my case, Instead of showing Set for monitor 1, it shows, set for desktop 1.