Why can't I set different wallpapers to my monitors when I have more than one desktop open windows 11

Anonymous
2023-04-13T18:50:30+00:00

I used to be able to have two virtual desktops, and when my main desktop is open and connected to my monitor, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 had two different wallpapers. Now when I go into settings under personalization to change my monitor wallpapers, it only allows me to have different wallpapers for desktops one and two after right-clicking the desired picture instead of the usual monitor one and two. When I delete my second desktop, the options to change the wallpaper for monitors one and two come back but once I set it and add back the second desktop, everything resets to the same wallpaper- erasing all of the changes I made. I use both of my desktops and enjoy the personalization of being able to quickly identify from one monitor to the other.

Is there any way to have different wallpapers on my monitors while still having two desktops?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-30T04:55:31+00:00

Hi Megan, I am not from Microsoft. But I had the same problem as you, I could not set my backgrounds to what I want on 2 monitors. The problem was that I had 2 desktops running. To fix this press the windows key + tab and it will pop up with different desktops u have open, close the one you don't want. And when you go back into your background and display settings you can now pick which background you want to put on which monitor, aka the original of what it was supposed to be not chosen the desktops u want to put backgrounds on.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-07-02T03:48:36+00:00

    it worked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-17T15:26:17+00:00

    Thank you. This solved my problem; I didn't know 2 desktops were running the whole time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T20:12:25+00:00

    Again the solution recommended is ditch the capability to have virtual desktops in order to have different wallpaper for each monitor. In windows 10 we could have both that is what we are asking for.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T20:10:16+00:00

    You are suggesting that we loose the capability to have virtual desktops in order to set different wallpapers on each monitor which is not the question the question is how to have both like we had Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments