Hi Megan, I am not from Microsoft. But I had the same problem as you, I could not set my backgrounds to what I want on 2 monitors. The problem was that I had 2 desktops running. To fix this press the windows key + tab and it will pop up with different desktops u have open, close the one you don't want. And when you go back into your background and display settings you can now pick which background you want to put on which monitor, aka the original of what it was supposed to be not chosen the desktops u want to put backgrounds on.
Why can't I set different wallpapers to my monitors when I have more than one desktop open windows 11
I used to be able to have two virtual desktops, and when my main desktop is open and connected to my monitor, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 had two different wallpapers. Now when I go into settings under personalization to change my monitor wallpapers, it only allows me to have different wallpapers for desktops one and two after right-clicking the desired picture instead of the usual monitor one and two. When I delete my second desktop, the options to change the wallpaper for monitors one and two come back but once I set it and add back the second desktop, everything resets to the same wallpaper- erasing all of the changes I made. I use both of my desktops and enjoy the personalization of being able to quickly identify from one monitor to the other.
Is there any way to have different wallpapers on my monitors while still having two desktops?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2024-09-18T18:18:28+00:00 What solved it? I didn't see a fix. I installed a 3rd party program that works great. Better than fighting with Windows all the time.
-
Anonymous
2024-09-18T12:26:26+00:00 I have repeatedly set Backgrounds, exactly as you describe and it works... except for one slight flaw.
After setting the backgrounds as you describe, if I leave my computer alone for a half hour or more, BOTH screens revert to whatever background is on monitor #1. It does this consistently, so if I want to retain two unique backgrounds I am required to reset one of the screens after any idle time of more than 30 minutes.
-
Anonymous
2024-09-18T08:50:27+00:00 Hi,
Thanks you for the tip, it's solved the issue on my laptop.
-
Anonymous
2024-09-09T14:52:32+00:00 THANK YOU Blake! I've been searching to resolve the different monitor wallpapers off/on for months. Never knew about the different desktops. Your resolve was perfect.