Why can't I set different wallpapers to my monitors when I have more than one desktop open windows 11

Anonymous
2023-04-13T18:50:30+00:00

I used to be able to have two virtual desktops, and when my main desktop is open and connected to my monitor, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 had two different wallpapers. Now when I go into settings under personalization to change my monitor wallpapers, it only allows me to have different wallpapers for desktops one and two after right-clicking the desired picture instead of the usual monitor one and two. When I delete my second desktop, the options to change the wallpaper for monitors one and two come back but once I set it and add back the second desktop, everything resets to the same wallpaper- erasing all of the changes I made. I use both of my desktops and enjoy the personalization of being able to quickly identify from one monitor to the other.

Is there any way to have different wallpapers on my monitors while still having two desktops?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-30T04:55:31+00:00

Hi Megan, I am not from Microsoft. But I had the same problem as you, I could not set my backgrounds to what I want on 2 monitors. The problem was that I had 2 desktops running. To fix this press the windows key + tab and it will pop up with different desktops u have open, close the one you don't want. And when you go back into your background and display settings you can now pick which background you want to put on which monitor, aka the original of what it was supposed to be not chosen the desktops u want to put backgrounds on.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-14T19:11:54+00:00

    I did exactly as described in your post, and I got two different pictures, on on Montior 1 and a different picture on Monitor 2. Then I went to work, opened some windows and did a few tasks for about ten minutes, when I minimized all of the window both Monitors 1 and 2 had changed to the piture I had set for monitor 1, or on some days, the system reset both montors to no picture but "solid color" black background.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-08T04:15:42+00:00

    If it is signaling desktop 1 and 2, you may want to go into windows + tab and remove the others

    Thats what worked for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-28T18:25:55+00:00

    I dont know how to fix that sorry, all i could tell you is to try closing all desktops, i don't use slideshows so i don't know how they work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments