Why can't I set different wallpapers to my monitors when I have more than one desktop open windows 11

Anonymous
2023-04-13T18:50:30+00:00

I used to be able to have two virtual desktops, and when my main desktop is open and connected to my monitor, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 had two different wallpapers. Now when I go into settings under personalization to change my monitor wallpapers, it only allows me to have different wallpapers for desktops one and two after right-clicking the desired picture instead of the usual monitor one and two. When I delete my second desktop, the options to change the wallpaper for monitors one and two come back but once I set it and add back the second desktop, everything resets to the same wallpaper- erasing all of the changes I made. I use both of my desktops and enjoy the personalization of being able to quickly identify from one monitor to the other.

Is there any way to have different wallpapers on my monitors while still having two desktops?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-30T04:55:31+00:00

Hi Megan, I am not from Microsoft. But I had the same problem as you, I could not set my backgrounds to what I want on 2 monitors. The problem was that I had 2 desktops running. To fix this press the windows key + tab and it will pop up with different desktops u have open, close the one you don't want. And when you go back into your background and display settings you can now pick which background you want to put on which monitor, aka the original of what it was supposed to be not chosen the desktops u want to put backgrounds on.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-09T15:53:14+00:00

    I have been doing the desktop background assignements exactly as you explained it, and I get two seperate backgrounds, a different one on monitors 1 & 2, at the end of the day I get up and walk away from the computer, and the monitors power down after an hour, the PC stays on and fully powered. The next morning, I shake the mouse to wake the monitor and BOTH routinely default to the background assigned to Monitor 1, if I want the background for monitor 2 to be as I previously had it, I have to manually reset it every morning. THen during the day, if I leave the PC alone for more than 15 or 20 minutes, Monitor 2 resets to match monitor 1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-03T20:44:50+00:00

    just doesn't work for me and a lot of people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T09:17:42+00:00

    Thank you for this reply - as I had the same issue (showing as Desktop not Monitor) so fixed and I now have two wallpapers again.

    many thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-01T15:56:11+00:00

    I appreciate your feedback! However, I was asking if I could have the virtual desktops open and still have different wallpapers for my two monitors

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments