WIN11, new text file option missing

Anonymous
2023-05-03T01:24:03+00:00

Suddenly, right clicking Desktop and selecting New no longer shows a Text File option. Can this option somehow be restored?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-05-03T02:36:26+00:00

Hi,

I'm Sneha and I'd be happy to help you out with your question. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

It's possible that the Text File option has been removed or disabled by a recent Windows update or by a third-party program. However, there are some steps you can try to restore the Text File option.

First, open Notepad by typing "notepad" in the Windows search bar and pressing Enter. Then, type any random text in the Notepad window. Next, click on "File" in the top left corner of the window and select "Save As". Navigate to your Desktop or the folder where you want to save the text file, and in the "Save as type" field, select "All Files (.)". In the "File name" field, enter the name you want for your text file, followed by ".txt" (e.g. "mytextfile.txt"). Finally, click on "Save".

After completing these steps, try right-clicking on your Desktop again and see if the Text File option has been restored. If the issue persists, it's possible that a third-party software or antivirus program may be interfering with the Windows context menu. You may want to check for any updates or conflicts with these programs.

If you have any other questions or need assistance with anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. It will be my pleasure to Assist you.

Best Regards, Sneha

Give back to the community. Help the next person with this problem by indicating whether this answer solved your problem. Click Yes or No at the bottom.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-06T21:44:01+00:00

    So how do I do that? Is it a permissions thing?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-07T01:14:37+00:00

    I think you should make a fresh post instead of tagging the question onto an existing post, don't you think?

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-07T19:58:35+00:00

    Sorry, I thought that my problem was directly related.

    It isn't. It was due to the "Hypernanny" which messes about with one's defaults without asking permission.

    • Normally to convert something on the web to PDF I use Foxit Phantom PDF.
    • Lately I have been directed to Microsoft print to pdf.
    • I just forced the printer back to the Foxit Phantom PDF printer.
    • Magic! In that I can cut and paste text to a .txt file.
    • Just tame that busybody Hypernanny please, Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-06-11T22:28:34+00:00

    This solution worked for me, but only after restarting my computer. Thanks very much for the easy and simple fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments