WIN11, new text file option missing

Anonymous
2023-05-03T01:24:03+00:00

Suddenly, right clicking Desktop and selecting New no longer shows a Text File option. Can this option somehow be restored?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-05-03T02:36:26+00:00

Hi,

I'm Sneha and I'd be happy to help you out with your question. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

It's possible that the Text File option has been removed or disabled by a recent Windows update or by a third-party program. However, there are some steps you can try to restore the Text File option.

First, open Notepad by typing "notepad" in the Windows search bar and pressing Enter. Then, type any random text in the Notepad window. Next, click on "File" in the top left corner of the window and select "Save As". Navigate to your Desktop or the folder where you want to save the text file, and in the "Save as type" field, select "All Files (.)". In the "File name" field, enter the name you want for your text file, followed by ".txt" (e.g. "mytextfile.txt"). Finally, click on "Save".

After completing these steps, try right-clicking on your Desktop again and see if the Text File option has been restored. If the issue persists, it's possible that a third-party software or antivirus program may be interfering with the Windows context menu. You may want to check for any updates or conflicts with these programs.

If you have any other questions or need assistance with anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. It will be my pleasure to Assist you.

Best Regards, Sneha

Give back to the community. Help the next person with this problem by indicating whether this answer solved your problem. Click Yes or No at the bottom.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-05T23:36:35+00:00

    I have a file (a medical bill actually) that I downloaded and saved as a Word document, and I also converted it to a PDF.

    I am trying to copy 12 lines of text out of either of those files into a .txt file, but when I paste the selected text into the Text file, nothing is pasted. I want to play around with this text to analyze what is going on (i.e. break down the bill in more detail and reconcile it with an Explanation of Benefits).

    Why is this suddenly so hard, I am sure I have done this before? It is like there is a conspiracy to prevent me from checking my bills.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-27T10:24:01+00:00
    1. Right-click a text file.
    2. Open with > Choose another app > Notepad > Always

    Now this worked. (I did not have to reboot.)

    This is the correct solution to the problem to restore New > Text document menu item. Tested on Windows 11 23H2, after a NotePad automatic update from MS Store probably messed it up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-03T23:51:49+00:00
    1. Right-click a text file.
    2. Open with > Choose another app > Notepad > Always

    Now this worked. (I did not have to reboot.)

    Then I did the same with "Notepad ++" (my favorite) and it is now again the default but still things work; i.e.,

    right-click > "New" contains the option "Text Document".

    [My Windows 11 was recently updated. Maybe that caused the problem?]

    Hi Kalle Mokkola:

    I follow your steps and now this worked for me.

    I did what you suggests,Choose another app > Notepad > Always > then go back to "Notepad ++" and it is now in the "right-click-menu > "New" contains the option "Text Document". with Notepadd++

    Thanks !

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-28T11:56:33+00:00

    Just did the same thing to me. Right click no option to create a new Text Document. Killed explorer.exe and started it up again, fixed.

    22H2 Build 22621.2283 is so buggy, especially File Explorer.

    Can be just working and File Explorer will just pop up front and center. Often if you move File Explorer below the Task Bar it will cover it vs staying behind it. I can't seem to reproduce either symptom at will. It's a bug for sure, happens on every PC in the house.

    I thought Vista was bad, but MS you've outdone yourself once again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments