Every time I login to my PC a screen advertising Game Pass appears. How do I stop this?

Anonymous
2023-04-01T18:42:31+00:00

I bought a new PC recently and have Windows 11 installed. After a recent upgrade force by Microsoft, I now receive a full screen ad for Game Pass every time I log in to my PC. There appears to be no way to decline this product and stop the ad from appearing. I'm nearly 70, have no kids in my house and have no interest (and I mean NO interest) in using Game Pass. Yet I have to decline the offer EVERY time I log in. Microsoft seems to no longer offer phone support to home users, so this community approach may be my only hope for relief. Does anyone know how to stop this Game Pass screen from appearing? Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-18T11:47:15+00:00

    This started happening to me on the windows PC I use at work. It does not have the XBOX App installed, but does have two other xbox related apps listed: Xbox Console Companion, and Xbox Game Bar. I have tried removing app permissions from both of them, for all that I could find in the "Advanced Settings". Will have to wait and see if that solves it for me.

    Notable that if I open the Xbox Console Companion app, it suggests I download the new Xbox App for Windows 10, so I suspect it's probably the closest thing of the two I see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-10T09:42:03+00:00

    Does not work for windows 10

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-10T09:41:33+00:00

    Does not work for windows 10

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-06T12:31:24+00:00

    Cheers to the brain-dead developer that thought it was a good idea.

    Developers do what the executives say to do, they don't make decisions like this.

    Agreed, it's brain-dead and horrible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-16T09:38:41+00:00

    I been a linux user for a long time now, recently I bought a windows laptop and before installing linux I wanted to give windows 11 a try.

    Among other things I stumbled with this xbox ad on every boot which not only is annoying, it is plain stupid. Cheers to the brain-dead developer that thought it was a good idea.

    Also the Edge-down-your-throat browser thing...

    The ad settings in you OS. I want a OS to work not to see ads, relevant or not.

    See you never windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments