Every time I login to my PC a screen advertising Game Pass appears. How do I stop this?

Anonymous
2023-04-01T18:42:31+00:00

I bought a new PC recently and have Windows 11 installed. After a recent upgrade force by Microsoft, I now receive a full screen ad for Game Pass every time I log in to my PC. There appears to be no way to decline this product and stop the ad from appearing. I'm nearly 70, have no kids in my house and have no interest (and I mean NO interest) in using Game Pass. Yet I have to decline the offer EVERY time I log in. Microsoft seems to no longer offer phone support to home users, so this community approach may be my only hope for relief. Does anyone know how to stop this Game Pass screen from appearing? Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-28T22:56:42+00:00

    Nice solution. Just found this thread. I remember wrestling with this problem about a year ago and could never find a solution. I'd log onto my computer only to find a giant rifle pointing straight at my face every single time for some shoot-em-up game. Disturbing! No wonder why the world is so F'd up.

    Then I just thought to press the escape key before logging in and all my troubles went away. What I noticed is that they strategically placed the ad prompt over the login pad, so turns out by pressing the escape key, it clears the ad away from hijacking your login before you can unknowingly click it, and whala you're in!

    It's sad that a thread (a long thread at that with no response that I've notice from a Microsoft rep) even has to exist. It just shows how low big tech will go to screw their own customers just to make a quick buck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-28T16:25:25+00:00

    Yes, thank you. Yours is the only suggestion that finally worked. Too bad because I did enjoy the various pictures shown on the MS screen show drop down option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-20T14:51:42+00:00
    That did the trick. Thanks very much. <br><br><br><br><br><br>Hi Norman Smith3,
    Garrett Shaffner has replied to the question Every time I login to my PC a screen advertising Game Pass appears. How do I stop this? that you are following in Microsoft Support Community.
    All of the responses that I have found here have not worked for me, but I finally did it.<br><br><br><br>1. Open settings<br><br>2. Search for "Lock Screen Settings"<br><br>3. In "Lock Screen Settings" under "Personalize your lock screen", select "Picture" in the drop down menu.<br><br>4. A toggle option will appear that says, "Get fun facts, tips, tricks... Ect"<br><br>5. Uncheck that box and finally be rid of this nonsense.<br><br><br><br>Basically, the Xbox gamepass nonsense is a part of "Windows spotlight", so change it to a picture and deselect the "get fun facts" trash.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-19T22:06:00+00:00

    All of the responses that I have found here have not worked for me, but I finally did it.

    1. Open settings
    2. Search for "Lock Screen Settings"
    3. In "Lock Screen Settings" under "Personalize your lock screen", select "Picture" in the drop down menu.
    4. A toggle option will appear that says, "Get fun facts, tips, tricks... Ect"
    5. Uncheck that box and finally be rid of this nonsense.

    Basically, the Xbox gamepass nonsense is a part of "Windows spotlight", so change it to a picture and deselect the "get fun facts" trash.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments