all of my function keys are performing other functions than what it is supposed to do

Anonymous
2023-05-16T19:47:17+00:00

when i press increase sound it acts as a shourtcut for find in page

and light up keyboard(f5) will refresh my webpage,

like this all my function keys are performing different things

but the rest of my keys work normally and sticky keys toggle keys etc is off now what do i do?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-05-16T20:19:47+00:00

Hello! My name is Cristiano. I'm an Independent Advisor. I'm glad to help you.

Oh, I see what's happening. It sounds like you have a feature called "Alternate Function Keys" enabled on your keyboard. Don't worry, we can fix that!

To disable the Alternate Function Keys and make your function keys work as they're supposed to, you can try the following steps:

  1. Look for the "Fn" key on your keyboard. It's usually located in the bottom left or bottom right corner and is labeled "Fn" or may have an icon that represents it.
  2. Press and hold down the "Fn" key.
  3. While holding down the "Fn" key, press the "Escape" key (often labeled as "Esc") once.
  4. Release both the "Fn" and "Escape" keys.

Give it a try and see if it works for you!

If you ever want to enable the Alternate Function Keys mode again, you can simply repeat the same steps: press and hold the "Fn" key, then press the "Escape" key, and finally release both keys.

I hope this solves the issue for you!

Was this answer helpful?

600+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-05-16T19:54:01+00:00

got it its an issue called alternate function keys and you press escape and fn key to disable it and can be enabled usaing the same shourtcut.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-29T12:06:13+00:00

    My fn key is on my escape key how do i do this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-01T02:00:02+00:00

    hey, I had the same problem, and I tried this solution, and it didn't work. I try to click the volume up button it tells me to search the page. I click the mute button, and it takes me to Microsoft edge. the same thing with the brightness change buttons.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-09T00:36:33+00:00

    Hi! When I repeat what you told me to do it locks my mouse. Is there any other way to turn it off?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments