FIXED nvlddmkm gaming/video crash error (Bad RAM).

Anonymous
2023-04-25T09:01:31+00:00

I wanted to share how I resolved the frustrating nvlddmkm issue many people continue to experience.

TL;DR:
One of two DIMMs (RAM sticks) on my computer was faulty, causing errors in the GPU's ability to consistently access the graphics driver.
Removing the faulty DIMM solved the issue.

The issue:

Many users (myself included) experience a crash while playing games or using graphic-intensive applications.

This can manifest as a black screen, crash to desktop, unresponsive system or sometimes immediate system restart.

In Windows Event Viewer, this can show as a Warning from Source: Display, Event ID 4101:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and successfully recovered."

It also appears in Unreal Engine crash reports as an Unreal Process crash:

"Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost".

Issue appears in 3D Mark as a crash during benchmarking, with a benchmarking score of 0 and notification "an error has occurred".

Interestingly, Heaven Benchmark did not encounter this issue.

Attempted fixes:

Many people have posted solutions to this issue, and sometimes they work for some users, but never did for me.

These solutions include:

  • Clean Re-install of graphics driver.
  • Removal of old drivers using DDU.
  • Manually updating every system driver on the computer via Windows Device Manager.
  • Automatically updating every system driver on the computer via DriverEasy.
  • Changing Timeout Delay Recovery (Tdr) in the system Registry**.
  • Ensuring all overclocking is set to default settings.
  • Underclocking the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU).
  • Setting all system power setting to maximum performance.
  • Replacing Graphics Processing Unit with new and improved GPU.
  • Replacing Power Supply Unit with new and improved PSU.
  • Replacing Hard Disk Drive with new and improved Solid State Disk Drive.
  • Clean install of Windows.
  • Command Prompt diagnosis and file repair via System File Checker command.
  • 3x visits to local PC repair shop.
  • Checking computer Memory Integrity via Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.

**I must stress, updating the system Registry can have negative repercussions on system stability if done incorrectly.

The solution that worked:

The Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool didn't find any issues with my RAM, but it got me thinking. If there was a problem with only one of the two DIMMs, could the tool determine this?

From some late-night YouTube watching, I learned that RAM is actually pretty darn important to the system, and also that RAM performance can degrade or even fail over time. Luckily, it's comparatively cheap to replace relative to the other computer components.

I removed one of the two DIMMs, and found the computer wouldn't boot when powered on.

  • Swapping the DIMMs resulted in a successful power-on and boot to Windows.
  • Running off one DIMM, I was able to successfully run application without the nvlddmkm crash.
  • Running off one DIMM was stable, albeit with performance limitations due to only 4GB RAM being available.
  • Re-inserting the faulty DIMM caused nvlddmkm errors to return.

I bought two new DIMMs to replace the old RAM, and hey-presto, 3-years of nvlddmkm problems were now resolved, and has never re-occurred 6-months later.

Summary:

If you are experiencing nvlddmkm error crashes, driver updates/software solutions may work for you.

If not, you may have faulty hardware, and this could be the RAM, like I experienced.

Test your RAM by removing one of your two DIMMs, and then swapping them and testing again.

Luckily, RAM one of the easiest and most affordable components to replace.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-20T15:47:38+00:00

    I would also like to know if replacing the GPU fixed the issue, I was getting this error since the 5th of May 2024, I thought I fixed it with the registry edit but it came back today when I was using a program to upscale footage. I am going to try and lower my OC on the ram and yes it is Corsair.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-05T11:07:34+00:00

    Hello. I have the same problem, exactly like yours. How did u know that was ram? Did u use MemTest86 to check RAM or you disconnected the RAM randomly and saw that that was the problem. I used MemTest86, checked my RAM and it passed the test (both sticks, tested one by one, then tested together). I also reinstalled the whole Windows (downgraded from Windows 11 to 10), and still nothing. I stress tested my gpu and cpu in Cinebench, and It was good looking. So what you would reccomend me to do? Thanks.

    My PC components:

    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

    GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070

    Ram: G Skill F4-3600C19D-16GVRB (2 sticks of 8gb)

    Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

    512gb SSD drive

    4tb HDD drive

    PSU: Be Quiet Pure Power 11 500W

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-05T14:50:41+00:00

    Unfortunately just this week my GPU an RTX 2070 super died 29th of September. Saturday night I turned my machine off all fine and Sunday morning it was dead on boot no fan spin, gpu would not post at all. I was getting the nvlddmkm error only in the event viewer with my screen blanking for a few seconds and coming back on. No driver crash or recovery of any sorts I would run games fine play for hours and nothing would work fine in fact played and finished 3 games since this post no problem there must be some internal component that went bad I guess. I am now running a P2000 in the same slot on my motherboard as a temp replacement.

    Before the card died I did managed to fix the nvlddmkm error found a post on reddit it required enabling user permissions to full control (security tab under properties) for nvlddmkm.sys in system32. With this fix I was running fine, but what I find is most people had to RMA their cards and this problem went away and some of them had problems with RMA's because this problem was hard to reproduce.

    Concerning ram, this was not the case my ram is corsair vengeance pro SL 64gb kit 4 modules. I was able to run them at 3200Mhz stable but will not run stable at 3600Mhz had multiple errors whea 18 and 19. I fixed it with running ram with only two sticks and that boosted to 3800Mhz stable, OCCT memtest86 and y-cruncher (13 hours stable). If this nvlddmkm error was ram related I would have know very early on this card ran fine with corsair at 3200Mhz for 4.7 years.

    If you have a spare card swap that temporally and see if this errors appears again if it does than get a new card. I had nvlddmkm error happen on opening WhatsApp application on desktop 3 instance and 2 when I was upscaling a 1090p footage to 4k on Topaz it would stop the upscale with an error on gpu and I had to check in the event viewer for this error. I ran UNIGINE immediately after this error, three runs all fine?

    UPDATE:

    My gpu was fixed and is working properly as it should, there was a short caused by major dust buildup once cleaned the gpu worked properly again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-27T18:07:01+00:00

    Swapping RAM didnt fix this at all. I also have my RAM at default speed. Moreover, it only happens with the same 2 games.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-27T18:08:20+00:00

    The user permission workaround did nothing for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments