Very glad to hear this post is still helping some people, a year on.
Great news about you rig, enjoy the racing!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I wanted to share how I resolved the frustrating nvlddmkm issue many people continue to experience.
TL;DR:
One of two DIMMs (RAM sticks) on my computer was faulty, causing errors in the GPU's ability to consistently access the graphics driver.
Removing the faulty DIMM solved the issue.
The issue:
Many users (myself included) experience a crash while playing games or using graphic-intensive applications.
This can manifest as a black screen, crash to desktop, unresponsive system or sometimes immediate system restart.
In Windows Event Viewer, this can show as a Warning from Source: Display, Event ID 4101:
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and successfully recovered."
It also appears in Unreal Engine crash reports as an Unreal Process crash:
"Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost".
Issue appears in 3D Mark as a crash during benchmarking, with a benchmarking score of 0 and notification "an error has occurred".
Interestingly, Heaven Benchmark did not encounter this issue.
Attempted fixes:
Many people have posted solutions to this issue, and sometimes they work for some users, but never did for me.
These solutions include:
**I must stress, updating the system Registry can have negative repercussions on system stability if done incorrectly.
The solution that worked:
The Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool didn't find any issues with my RAM, but it got me thinking. If there was a problem with only one of the two DIMMs, could the tool determine this?
From some late-night YouTube watching, I learned that RAM is actually pretty darn important to the system, and also that RAM performance can degrade or even fail over time. Luckily, it's comparatively cheap to replace relative to the other computer components.
I removed one of the two DIMMs, and found the computer wouldn't boot when powered on.
I bought two new DIMMs to replace the old RAM, and hey-presto, 3-years of nvlddmkm problems were now resolved, and has never re-occurred 6-months later.
Summary:
If you are experiencing nvlddmkm error crashes, driver updates/software solutions may work for you.
If not, you may have faulty hardware, and this could be the RAM, like I experienced.
Test your RAM by removing one of your two DIMMs, and then swapping them and testing again.
Luckily, RAM one of the easiest and most affordable components to replace.
Hope this helps.
Ben.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Very glad to hear this post is still helping some people, a year on.
Great news about you rig, enjoy the racing!
Dear Blind Monk!
Thank you for sharing you experience, it helped me to solve my problem.
Based on a TikTok video, I enabled XMP to get better performace for my RAM, using 3600mhz instead of 2400 (my cpu supports it).
After 1-2 months, my computer started to struggling playing video games and handling my monitors, when logging in and out, or switching between tasks. After a complete crash, I found this type of error above. I remembered messing in the bios a while ago, went back and disabled XMP. Since it works as fine as it should.
Moral of the story: Don't listen to social media and don't touch settings you don't fully understand.
I'm getting this issue with Corsair memory as well. I wonder if Corsair is the main brand of memory that users that are experiencing this issue have.
I am experiencing the same issue with corsair memory as well. Yet to find a solution here too. Disabling Low Level IO Monitoring seems to give some results, allowing me to run stress tests and benchmarks without issue, however, black screens still persist from things as simple as menuing in CS2
THANK YOU! This made me look at my RAM and related config, I checked the motherboard manufacturer and the latest BIOS updates all state "better RAM compatibility" - So I upgraded the mboard firmware and turned XMP back on - still didn't fix the issue, but with the firmware upgrade it gave me a new option for XMP: "Auto" (Asrock PG Lightning/D4) and bam, no more crashes! Like other have said it was consistantly 2-15mins before, been running a game for 1h30mins now with no issues!
Edit: Update, happened twice again today, I've rolled back my Nvidia driver to 537.58 which is apparently more stable, haven't had any issues since then. If it happens 1 more time I'm buying new RAM!
Edit2: I jynxed it, 2mins later it crashed again. New RAM ordererd.