Very glad to hear this post is still helping some people, a year on.
Great news about you rig, enjoy the racing!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I wanted to share how I resolved the frustrating nvlddmkm issue many people continue to experience.
TL;DR:
One of two DIMMs (RAM sticks) on my computer was faulty, causing errors in the GPU's ability to consistently access the graphics driver.
Removing the faulty DIMM solved the issue.
The issue:
Many users (myself included) experience a crash while playing games or using graphic-intensive applications.
This can manifest as a black screen, crash to desktop, unresponsive system or sometimes immediate system restart.
In Windows Event Viewer, this can show as a Warning from Source: Display, Event ID 4101:
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and successfully recovered."
It also appears in Unreal Engine crash reports as an Unreal Process crash:
"Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost".
Issue appears in 3D Mark as a crash during benchmarking, with a benchmarking score of 0 and notification "an error has occurred".
Interestingly, Heaven Benchmark did not encounter this issue.
Attempted fixes:
Many people have posted solutions to this issue, and sometimes they work for some users, but never did for me.
These solutions include:
**I must stress, updating the system Registry can have negative repercussions on system stability if done incorrectly.
The solution that worked:
The Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool didn't find any issues with my RAM, but it got me thinking. If there was a problem with only one of the two DIMMs, could the tool determine this?
From some late-night YouTube watching, I learned that RAM is actually pretty darn important to the system, and also that RAM performance can degrade or even fail over time. Luckily, it's comparatively cheap to replace relative to the other computer components.
I removed one of the two DIMMs, and found the computer wouldn't boot when powered on.
I bought two new DIMMs to replace the old RAM, and hey-presto, 3-years of nvlddmkm problems were now resolved, and has never re-occurred 6-months later.
Summary:
If you are experiencing nvlddmkm error crashes, driver updates/software solutions may work for you.
If not, you may have faulty hardware, and this could be the RAM, like I experienced.
Test your RAM by removing one of your two DIMMs, and then swapping them and testing again.
Luckily, RAM one of the easiest and most affordable components to replace.
Hope this helps.
Ben.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Very glad to hear this post is still helping some people, a year on.
Great news about you rig, enjoy the racing!
Just wanted to say thank you! My racing simulator began to crash randomly as if the GPU was getting hot or something. Temps, FPS, Power, Fans, etc etc all checked out. Thought my game (assetto corsa) had been maybe corrupted. Went on a mission to try and figure this issue out for days! I DDU'd my 3090ti FE twice, and installed latest driver and then reinstalled previous driver. Nothing was fixing it. This dang nvlddmkm error kept happening. Finally I found this post via google search. Decided to not test my 4 sticks of RAM (64gb) and just say f it and had amazon overnight 4 new sticks of 16gb 5600 DDR5. After 4 days of hard racing, I am happy to report that replacing the RAM solved it. I waited until tonight to post as I didn't want to jinx myself last week lol
Thank you!
same issue
Not sure if this is going to help anybody else, but what I tried is running both my RAM sticks individually.
They both, individually, worked fine. So I thought, what if I swap both of them from A2 & B2 to A1 & B1?
I have no problems whatsoever now. Outside of the fact that my PC won't boot when I set them to 3200mhz. 2666mhz works fine, though.
It's strange, I was thinking maybe the problem lies with my BIOS from 2020?
So guys,
as far as I know, this error can have multiple reasons. for me it wasnt something with the RAM (I tried every one of my 4 Sticks individually). For me the error was gone after I turned off GPU-Hardware Acceleration. You can find it in the settings under system>display>Graphics>Change default graphics settings. For me also the performance before and after was nearly identical.
Hope I helped someone with this
TL;DR: turn off GPU hardware acceleration