My solution was that I actually had to RMA my 2years old Gigabyte RTX3070Ti to have them reapply cooling paste. It either dried up, or wasn't applied properly by the beginning is unknown to me, but whichever was the case, the problem went away when it got done.
While gaming, or in benchmark the card's hotspot would almost instantly ramp up to 104°C (219.20 °F) and the card in general would go up above 78 °C (172.40 °F), so the machine would reboot with no alert in a cooling attempt, and all I could see in the event viewer was this critical error that came up last right before the next fresh bootup, hence my suspicion of that. Also, a lot of other forums mentioned it with pretty much similar symptoms to my problem.
FIXED nvlddmkm gaming/video crash error (Bad RAM).
I wanted to share how I resolved the frustrating nvlddmkm issue many people continue to experience.
TL;DR:
One of two DIMMs (RAM sticks) on my computer was faulty, causing errors in the GPU's ability to consistently access the graphics driver.
Removing the faulty DIMM solved the issue.
The issue:
Many users (myself included) experience a crash while playing games or using graphic-intensive applications.
This can manifest as a black screen, crash to desktop, unresponsive system or sometimes immediate system restart.
In Windows Event Viewer, this can show as a Warning from Source: Display, Event ID 4101:
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and successfully recovered."
It also appears in Unreal Engine crash reports as an Unreal Process crash:
"Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost".
Issue appears in 3D Mark as a crash during benchmarking, with a benchmarking score of 0 and notification "an error has occurred".
Interestingly, Heaven Benchmark did not encounter this issue.
Attempted fixes:
Many people have posted solutions to this issue, and sometimes they work for some users, but never did for me.
These solutions include:
- Clean Re-install of graphics driver.
- Removal of old drivers using DDU.
- Manually updating every system driver on the computer via Windows Device Manager.
- Automatically updating every system driver on the computer via DriverEasy.
- Changing Timeout Delay Recovery (Tdr) in the system Registry**.
- Ensuring all overclocking is set to default settings.
- Underclocking the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU).
- Setting all system power setting to maximum performance.
- Replacing Graphics Processing Unit with new and improved GPU.
- Replacing Power Supply Unit with new and improved PSU.
- Replacing Hard Disk Drive with new and improved Solid State Disk Drive.
- Clean install of Windows.
- Command Prompt diagnosis and file repair via System File Checker command.
- 3x visits to local PC repair shop.
- Checking computer Memory Integrity via Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.
**I must stress, updating the system Registry can have negative repercussions on system stability if done incorrectly.
The solution that worked:
The Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool didn't find any issues with my RAM, but it got me thinking. If there was a problem with only one of the two DIMMs, could the tool determine this?
From some late-night YouTube watching, I learned that RAM is actually pretty darn important to the system, and also that RAM performance can degrade or even fail over time. Luckily, it's comparatively cheap to replace relative to the other computer components.
I removed one of the two DIMMs, and found the computer wouldn't boot when powered on.
- Swapping the DIMMs resulted in a successful power-on and boot to Windows.
- Running off one DIMM, I was able to successfully run application without the nvlddmkm crash.
- Running off one DIMM was stable, albeit with performance limitations due to only 4GB RAM being available.
- Re-inserting the faulty DIMM caused nvlddmkm errors to return.
I bought two new DIMMs to replace the old RAM, and hey-presto, 3-years of nvlddmkm problems were now resolved, and has never re-occurred 6-months later.
Summary:
If you are experiencing nvlddmkm error crashes, driver updates/software solutions may work for you.
If not, you may have faulty hardware, and this could be the RAM, like I experienced.
Test your RAM by removing one of your two DIMMs, and then swapping them and testing again.
Luckily, RAM one of the easiest and most affordable components to replace.
Hope this helps.
Ben.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
41 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2024-12-17T23:33:41+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-12-11T05:03:02+00:00 Hello kazaya, If your system OS is old then I suggest you do a fresh install. You can try DDU and uninstall the current Nvidia drivers to see if that fixes the problem. Yes I was able to assign full permission on the nvlddmkm.sys file with no issue none of the check boxes were greyed but you need to keep in mind that whenever you update the Nvidia drivers this fix will revert back to original settings. When I first set the permissions the file was located in the main System32 folder and now its located in the File Repository for some reason, I did this fix months ago and so far no errors have appeared.
Its not Ram related I can confirm that as I swapped the sticks with completely new ones and the problem was still present, and as you mentioned the problem was present with the old gpu that indicates a OS issue rather a component one.
-
Anonymous
2024-12-10T23:36:24+00:00 Hey,
How were you able to adjust permissions for nvlddmkm.sys? The boxes are greyed out for me, even though I'm the system admin.
This nvlddmkm is tripping Event ID 4101 then I get several of the following: "The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0x8898008d, Restart count: 3, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti)"
It's always paired with the following error:
Event ID 1000
Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.22621.4541, time stamp: 0x9e540ce0
Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.22621.4541, time stamp: 0x3aeb5f08
Exception code: 0x8898008d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000124c41
Faulting process id: 0x0x3228
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DB4B53E3558060
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\dwmcore.dll
Report Id: be0a4f86-02e3-4150-a56f-518fa190b872
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
This (or something) is causing the GPU to stop sending display feed to the monitors. They go dark and the system responds to no input besides hard reboot from the reset button.
The build I'm using is 14 months old, and the GPU is brand new from 4 days ago. I've tried pretty much everything except new RAM. I was having this problem even with my old GPU, an RTX 3050, so I know the GPU isn't the problem and all drivers/BIOS are updated.
EDIT: I replaced the RAM and issue is still present.
-
Anonymous
2024-11-29T21:36:36+00:00 This setting is already off for me and I still get this type of crash, and only with two specific games
-
Anonymous
2024-11-27T22:55:36+00:00 The user permission did fix the issue for me as I didnt get any sort of errors after I changed those settings I kept checking for two months. Theres been a recent development with my GPU I took it for repair and was surprised to find out that dust and fine fiber were present all over the GPU board and I had it cleaned by the repair technician he used some special PCB cleaner and its working again possible a short circuit issue its a closed NVidia founders edition model so no way to properly clean it.
I installed it this last week and Its running fine I checked again in the event viewer and the last recorded event of nvlddmkm was back in august thats when I applied the reddit fix with permission settings. If this error is only valid for two games then its the games then. If you are getting BSODs and flicker, blank screen dropouts then change the GPU and check if those errors are present. Taxing the gpu can also cause the drivers to crash and show this error the major concern would be if your PC crashes with bsods.
Try DDU in safe mode and reinstall all the drivers , chipset, GPU, update the windows drivers aswell . If that doesn't work then do a clean install of windows or swap the GPU to see if this error pops up again.
Nvlddmkm errors in event viewer can vary by code they are 153. 0, 14, 13 so check them all through the filter option.