FIXED nvlddmkm gaming/video crash error (Bad RAM).

Anonymous
2023-04-25T09:01:31+00:00

I wanted to share how I resolved the frustrating nvlddmkm issue many people continue to experience.

TL;DR:
One of two DIMMs (RAM sticks) on my computer was faulty, causing errors in the GPU's ability to consistently access the graphics driver.
Removing the faulty DIMM solved the issue.

The issue:

Many users (myself included) experience a crash while playing games or using graphic-intensive applications.

This can manifest as a black screen, crash to desktop, unresponsive system or sometimes immediate system restart.

In Windows Event Viewer, this can show as a Warning from Source: Display, Event ID 4101:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and successfully recovered."

It also appears in Unreal Engine crash reports as an Unreal Process crash:

"Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost".

Issue appears in 3D Mark as a crash during benchmarking, with a benchmarking score of 0 and notification "an error has occurred".

Interestingly, Heaven Benchmark did not encounter this issue.

Attempted fixes:

Many people have posted solutions to this issue, and sometimes they work for some users, but never did for me.

These solutions include:

  • Clean Re-install of graphics driver.
  • Removal of old drivers using DDU.
  • Manually updating every system driver on the computer via Windows Device Manager.
  • Automatically updating every system driver on the computer via DriverEasy.
  • Changing Timeout Delay Recovery (Tdr) in the system Registry**.
  • Ensuring all overclocking is set to default settings.
  • Underclocking the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU).
  • Setting all system power setting to maximum performance.
  • Replacing Graphics Processing Unit with new and improved GPU.
  • Replacing Power Supply Unit with new and improved PSU.
  • Replacing Hard Disk Drive with new and improved Solid State Disk Drive.
  • Clean install of Windows.
  • Command Prompt diagnosis and file repair via System File Checker command.
  • 3x visits to local PC repair shop.
  • Checking computer Memory Integrity via Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.

**I must stress, updating the system Registry can have negative repercussions on system stability if done incorrectly.

The solution that worked:

The Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool didn't find any issues with my RAM, but it got me thinking. If there was a problem with only one of the two DIMMs, could the tool determine this?

From some late-night YouTube watching, I learned that RAM is actually pretty darn important to the system, and also that RAM performance can degrade or even fail over time. Luckily, it's comparatively cheap to replace relative to the other computer components.

I removed one of the two DIMMs, and found the computer wouldn't boot when powered on.

  • Swapping the DIMMs resulted in a successful power-on and boot to Windows.
  • Running off one DIMM, I was able to successfully run application without the nvlddmkm crash.
  • Running off one DIMM was stable, albeit with performance limitations due to only 4GB RAM being available.
  • Re-inserting the faulty DIMM caused nvlddmkm errors to return.

I bought two new DIMMs to replace the old RAM, and hey-presto, 3-years of nvlddmkm problems were now resolved, and has never re-occurred 6-months later.

Summary:

If you are experiencing nvlddmkm error crashes, driver updates/software solutions may work for you.

If not, you may have faulty hardware, and this could be the RAM, like I experienced.

Test your RAM by removing one of your two DIMMs, and then swapping them and testing again.

Luckily, RAM one of the easiest and most affordable components to replace.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-03T08:31:56+00:00

    Very strange so I just recently or thought it was recently that I started having this issue it seems that it started right when I got the graphics card which just happens to be the exact same model of graphics card that you're using and ASUS rog stricks 4090. So when I look at my event log it begins in August of this year which was when I got the graphics card, and I see it error everyday sometimes multiple times a day and then more recently getting progressively worse. I believe this manifested as flickering on my screen which I thought was due to my DisplayPort cable possibly going bad so I've actually ordered another DisplayPort cable. I decided to check the logs after I noticed that this time my computer rebooted itself, which has happened another time before as well, and I saw the exact same model run time error that everybody else is writing about here... And that's what led me to your post.

    Apparently the error that we're discussing here can actually be caused by many different factors so it doesn't just come from one thing like memory sticks, there are many other things that can cause it as well. Going through some other event logs I found that there were some errors for this program NVtopps and some attempts to delete a sys user copy of nvcontainer that had failed. It looks like my GPU may have been looking for a power table and been unable to find one. Don't know if you noticed anything like that? I'm wondering if it has to do with either our model of graphics card or perhaps something that changed with Windows or nvidia's display drivers. Or perhaps even needing to reflash the Vbios of the GPU...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-20T18:10:46+00:00

    I'm hoping you are still following this thread, I have a question as I'm testing my RAM atm did you run any OC on the ram or try XMP to see if that made any differnce, I only ask as a passing thought on if the issue was down to timings rather than just bad ram.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-19T18:11:45+00:00

    I've had this issue for nearly 2 years, at first I was convinced it was drivers or something else listed above in one post or another, everything I've done has some effect or another sending me down so many wrong paths, but my PSU recently killed itself and took out my 3080 with it, both got replaced under warrenty, I've done a full clean install and started to see this issue already, so now I'm gonna have to test the ram by doing the swap it out dance, unless there is a way to find this issue with some sort of memory test, but I'll have to check with my PC builder, hopefully I can get back with results fairly quickly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-07T21:20:07+00:00

    Greetings, I have been having both Audio popping and video issues with the nvlddmkm Event ID 0 The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

    I have been trying to fix this for 3 months and it seems to happen after Nvidia drivers update then the Asus Strix RTX4090 OC becomes unstable. Last time I had to totally uninstall all drivers to get stability, but the Error persists when I am gaming and now I am experiencing total system lock up with no errors other than the nvlddmkm and a kernel power. Curious as to how you set the EXPO speed without profile My Asus Crosshair Extreme 670E.. Asus shows the QVL as a Corsair DDR5 for intel and not as a EXPO DDR5 for the Dominator 6000 64g I purchased direct from Corsair and the DDR5 is for EXPO only system. wondering if I should eat another 300.00 plus and just get the QVL DDR5 ? Because I think it is my ramm but all memtest show that both sticks work fine.

    We both here have the same problem and I've had system instability for a super long time and I know I've done a lot to even try to get it stable. The difference here is im on a 13900k and im betting youre on the 7800x3d. We both have done the test and we have no solution so far to check. If you have one around know let me know id love to hear because this is getting annoying on my end.

    "The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-28T07:17:49+00:00

    Hi,

    Did you try running with only one DIMM at a time?

    (I did hear a case where somebody was incredibly unlucky and received a faulty DIMM new out the box.) Run on a single DIMM to check.

    If you're issue is occurring with only MW2, and not other applications too, then it's not so likely to be a hardware issue, I'm sorry to say.

    Also have seen users have this issue where their PSU was on the way out, and was supplying insufficient / inconsistent voltage, which can lead to inconsistent behaviour. Is MW2 able to run suitably on less demanding graphic settings?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments