There is a red target like a scope crosshair in the middle of my screen.

Anonymous
2023-05-01T01:23:39+00:00

Cannot turn it off. I can move it around but that's it. It overlays over anything on the screen.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-01T01:25:59+00:00

    This is am image of the target:

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. John DeV 170.2K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-05-01T01:59:10+00:00

    Hello Donald,

    Good day! I'm John Dev a Windows user like you and I'll be happy to assist you today. I know this has been difficult for you, Rest assured, I'm going to do my best to help you.

    When was the last time it worked properly? Have you tried restarting your computer? What is the exact make and model of your monitor?

    Please check if there is a way to turn it off in your monitor menu

    Kind regards,

    John DeV

    Independent Advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-05-01T02:45:55+00:00

    Last night. My car walked on the keyboard when I was across the room. When I looked that red target was showing. I cannot right click it. I can move it around. I don't have any apps running other than Chrome and my antivirus. My system works fine it just had this target/scope overlay. I can move it out of the way but it's still there. I have never seen it before and I've been a Windows user since Windows 3.0. 😉

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. John DeV 170.2K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-05-01T03:15:25+00:00

    Hello Donald,

    Did you check any manufacturer utility app that could cause the issue? Is there an app included in your keyboard?

    **Perform a Clean Boot

    Determine whether a background program or a software conflict is causing the issue.

    Press Windows key+R to open Run then type: msconfig

    Press Enter

    Select System Configuration > go to the Services tab.

    Select and make sure to put a check mark on "Hide all Microsoft services"

    Click Disable all.

    Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all the unnecessary services running there. Restart your computer.

    Please check the support article at the link below for more details.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-t...

    Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

    Kind regards,

    John DeV

    Independent Advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-05-02T00:01:57+00:00

    Ok. I see what i have to do. I ran a clean boot and the target/scope symbol disappeared. Something i disabled was it. I will enable one at a time to see what app it is. I will let you know when i find out.

    Thank You!

    Donald Rohrbacher

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments