How do I fix my laptop keyboard not working on windows 11?

Anonymous
2023-05-27T13:37:04+00:00

How do I fix my laptop keyboard not working on windows 11? It just randomly stopped working a few months ago but usb keyboards work fine any solutions? I dont think its hardware related as the combination for changing/switching the led backlight works completely fine but nothing else does. I dont know if Im in the right place this is my first time here.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Input and language

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-12T01:48:16+00:00

    Hey, how you doing?

    Thank you for contacting us and welcome to the Microsoft Community.
    My name is Vitor. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

    Assuming you've already tested it with external keyboards and they worked, possibly the problem is physical. But first, do the procedure below to check if it could be a driver problem.

    Reinstall keyboard Driver:

    1. Press Windows + R keys to open Run.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
    3. Expand the Display Keyboard.
    4. Right-click on the target Keyboard and select Uninstall device.
    5. Restart your computer and let Windows install the driver automatically.

    NOTE: If when expanding the keyboard options the notebook keyboard does not appear, go to the manufacturer's website and in the driver options, check the latest driver for the keyboard. If it doesn't work, take it to a service center.

    Thanks
    Vitor S.

    This worked wonders for me. I also had to use the OSK (on-screen keyboard) as others have mentioned.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-02T19:05:22+00:00

    After having that problem with lots of laptops for clients, all of them being laptops not supposed to be compatible with Windows 11, I found a fix that is working on Reddit.

    Here it is :

    Go to Power options => Choose what the power buttons doDisable "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" in power button options

    (may have to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" to be able to click it)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-14T08:46:39+00:00

    It worked! Thanks for the tip

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T11:04:07+00:00

    How can you use the keys you suggest if the keyboard doesn't work. Wanna tell us how to do that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-05-21T12:11:32+00:00

    How can you use the keys you suggest if the keyboard doesn't work. Wanna tell us how to do that?


    @ RobertEnnis

    As I wrote on the first page of this thread...

    By using a USB keyboard as mentioned in the original post.

    Also posted in this thread, turn on the On-Screen Keyboard.

    Try the instructions here

    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-on-screen-keyboard-in-windows-11.7255/ 

    to turn on the on screen keyboard. There are several methods. One of them should work for you.

    Don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments