How do I fix my laptop keyboard not working on windows 11?

Anonymous
2023-05-27T13:37:04+00:00

How do I fix my laptop keyboard not working on windows 11? It just randomly stopped working a few months ago but usb keyboards work fine any solutions? I dont think its hardware related as the combination for changing/switching the led backlight works completely fine but nothing else does. I dont know if Im in the right place this is my first time here.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Input and language

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-05-21T12:11:32+00:00

    How can you use the keys you suggest if the keyboard doesn't work. Wanna tell us how to do that?


    @ RobertEnnis

    As I wrote on the first page of this thread...

    By using a USB keyboard as mentioned in the original post.

    Also posted in this thread, turn on the On-Screen Keyboard.

    Try the instructions here

    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-on-screen-keyboard-in-windows-11.7255/ 

    to turn on the on screen keyboard. There are several methods. One of them should work for you.

    Don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T11:04:07+00:00

    How can you use the keys you suggest if the keyboard doesn't work. Wanna tell us how to do that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-14T08:46:39+00:00

    It worked! Thanks for the tip

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-12T01:48:16+00:00

    Hey, how you doing?

    Thank you for contacting us and welcome to the Microsoft Community.
    My name is Vitor. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

    Assuming you've already tested it with external keyboards and they worked, possibly the problem is physical. But first, do the procedure below to check if it could be a driver problem.

    Reinstall keyboard Driver:

    1. Press Windows + R keys to open Run.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
    3. Expand the Display Keyboard.
    4. Right-click on the target Keyboard and select Uninstall device.
    5. Restart your computer and let Windows install the driver automatically.

    NOTE: If when expanding the keyboard options the notebook keyboard does not appear, go to the manufacturer's website and in the driver options, check the latest driver for the keyboard. If it doesn't work, take it to a service center.

    Thanks
    Vitor S.

    This worked wonders for me. I also had to use the OSK (on-screen keyboard) as others have mentioned.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T22:26:10+00:00

    Download SmartKeys app.. And REMAP the keypad numbers to the numbers above the letters on your keyboard.

    The * and / and - and + symbols are functional. So just remap 0123456789 to the numbers above the letters. Also, use the "Press key" feature to find the appropriate numbers.

    Strangly, when I boot into Win11 at the Lockscreen, before any changes the Keypad will work.. But as soon as you go into the desktop, the Keypad screws up. So use the SmartKeys app to fix it.

    Strangly again, I have been using a Redragon keyboard.. So I swapped keyboards with my Dell.. And it still had a problem. But then I pressed num lock twice and the keypad started workign again. SO I thought maybe a bit needed to be flipped in the registry somewhere... I dont know but it went back to working fine even AFTER I put my Redragon back on the system. But then I booted up today and It is not working again.. So this is when I remapped the keys using SmartKeys. And it is working again. Obviously, it is NOT a Keyboard problem.

    NO, The filter keys are Off.. It is all OFF

    NO, uninstalling the keyboard didnt help

    NO, the MS Update didnt help.

    Obviously it is WIN11 problem.

    NO Do not install MS PowerTools.. Because there is a ton of BLOAT in it. Runs in the background too. All you need is a Registry tweak or better yet, get microsoft to figure out what is wrong with the keys on the left, in picture.

    As always I have to fix it for everyone..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments